Review by crazymonkey

"One of the best RPGs for Nintendo 64!"

I know it's kind of late for a review for this game, but I just got it 2 weeks ago and it is awesome! I can't say it is the best RPG for N64, because I haven't played them all, but it is great! If you haven't played this game yet, play it now! You won't regret it! Now, on to the review.

The graphics in this game are almost perfect. Everything is the right color, and the everything is beautifully detailed. The people in this game DO NOT look blocky, which is great. The landscape is excellent, the tools and animals look realistic, but their are a few things that kept harvest moon 64 from getting a perfect graphic score. First, when you pass a house, sometimes it will fold in on itself, which looks really weird. Also, sometimes your sheep will walk INTO your cow, making it hard to find it. The shipping guy also walks THROUGH you when you try to block him. Everything else is excellent.

The songs in this game are great. There are lots of different songs, and not 1 of them is annoying. Their is a different song for each season, and each of them is well suited for each season. The sound effects are one the best ever. Every tool makes a different sound, and they all sound real.

Storyline: 7/10
Unfortunately, the story is one of the slightly disappointing aspects of this game. Most RPGs have long and interesting storylines, but harvest moon's storyline is a little too short. The story does change over the course of the game, so it gets better in the 2nd year. The opening cinema is OK, it's not bad, but not good either.

The game concepts are exciting, and they won't get boring. At first, you might think, ''how can a farming game be fun?''. After about the first 30 minutes, you'll get addicted to this game. You can plant/water crops, feed/take care of your animals, socialize, get married, mine, forage, participate in tons of cool festivals, faint, get sick, and I won't tell you more or it will spoil the fun.

Replay Value: 10/10
This game goes on FOREVER. You'll will probably want to keep playing after you beat the game, because it never ends. You might want to get a secret you missed, or do some crazy stuff for fun. *like axeing you cow* Or, you could start a new file and try to get a better score, or marry a different girl.

Rent or Buy?
Definitely BUY. If you rent this game, you'll still want to play it after 5 days. It's worth it to spend 40$ to keep it forever.

Okay, I know the average rounds to 9, but a great game like harvest moon 64 deserves a 10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/04/01, Updated 09/04/01