Review by Truec

"Congratulations! You get to be a farmer!"

Harvest Moon 64 is basically one of the best RPGs I have ever had the pleasure of playing. The graphics may be a little bit glitchy sometimes, the music may occasionally drive me to the brink of insanity, you may get tired of eating food whole, and listening to the people say the same thing every day may not be great, but the game is still one of the greatest ever created!

Now, when most people think of an RPG, they think of something like Final Fantasy, or Chrono Trigger, or one of those other games. I got news for you kiddies, this game is nothing like those, except for the fact that it is just as fun. The major diffrence is... you're a farmer! That's right! You're not some wandering hero with a sword on his back with some wizard with a bookful of spells that can fry a city for a companion, you're a farmer with a bunch of tools and you raise animals and grow crops to make a lot of $MONEY$! And at the same time you're trying to get married, even though you look like you're only 12!

My personal ratings for this game are as follows:

Overall gameplay-9/10
The gameplay is excellent, but it takes time to get used to. After a while, you don't even notice when you drop a vegetable and it vanishes into nothingness.

Story-9/10
Basically the same story as the original Harvest Moon. Your grandfather kicks the bucket and you take over his farm and turn it into a successful moneymaker.

Graphics-9/10
The graphics are also quite excellent. They may occasionally become a bit glitchy, but never enough to interfere with the game. All in all, I believe the graphics are as good as the system will allow for a game like this.

Sound-7/10
I wasn't really impressed with the sound. Sure, it may sound more or less realistic, but that damn music is enough to drive you nuts after a while. Other than that, it's not bad. Just turn it down sometimes.

Replayability-8/10
This game has a lot of replayability. You're always gonna want to go back and find all those items, or marry that girl, or do this or do that or do some other thing. It also never really ends! This game will keep going for as long as you feel like playing it.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/27/01, Updated 10/27/01