Review by YankeeJTC

"The game RPG fanatics have been praying for"

Having played the Super Nintendo version of Harvest Moon, I had high hopes for the N64 version. I picked it up at Virgin Record Store, and when I got home to play, I was blown away. This is easily one of the most addictive games ever made. You'll be promising yourself you'll save and quit after the day in the game ends, but once you look up at your clock 2 hours have gone by. Harvest Moon is all about farming, relationships, and having fun. You play as a farmer who inherits a farm which can be upgraded in several ways, including adding a greenhouse for planting crops in the winter. You can raise cows, chickens, sheep, and plant about 7 different types of crops, all with different characteristics. There are also many things to do in town, including woo the girl of your dreams, talk to people, and go to festivals, including horse races, egg hunts and more. You are also given a few tools in the beginning of the game, including an axe, a sickle, a hoe, a watering can, and a hammer, which can all be upgraded with use. Now to the rest of the review:

Graphics: 8
Definetely not the best the N64 has to offer, but not terrible. There is some serious slowdown in the town square during festivals, and it gets so bad the screen can't keep up with the controller. Everything else is pretty detailed.

Sound: 8
It gets kinda annoying at first, but it grows on you. The sounds correspond to what you are doing at the time, and every season has its own music, which is kinda neat.

Control: 8
The control is very easy to pick up quickly, and is very responsive. My only gripe about the controls is it's like most card games, easy to learn but hard to master. After extensive playing, I still find myself accidently watering the wrong spot, or something mindless like that.

Fun Factor: 10
This game is incredibly fun to play, and very addictive. Keep a clock next to your tv, or else you'll be playing for hours on end.

Final Score: 10 (not an average)
If you have $60, and have even a remote interest in RPGs, definetely buy this game. I even have friends who hate RPGs and got hooked on this game

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/07/00, Updated 03/07/00