Review by matt91486

"The only thing not here is the farmer's tan."

OPENING STATEMENT
Harvest Moon has been a cult hit for a long time. Well the cult best have some room for some new members. Those new members are you, the general public. My best advice to you is to take things in small doses and do something different during each day within the game otherwise you might have a calamity befall you. You might (shudder) get bored with this fantastic game! And whatever you do, don't because you will be missing out on lots.

GAMEPLAY--8
Sure enough, the monotony of the farmer's life can get to the inexperienced player. But, as you progress through the game, you will find more things to do each day. Fishing is always an enjoyable way to pass the time, and hunting in the woods for berries takes forever for those who want to waste that long.

Harvest Moon 64 could be described as an RPG. But it is more of a Strategy/Adventure with RPG elements. This interesting genre blending is handled much better than the genre blending in The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time.

GRAPHICS--9
These graphics fall into the same sort of category as Evolution. I like them. I am pretty sure they are based on anime, but it is a bit more westernized than Evolution, but not nearly as westernized as Final Fantasy 8. Those graphics could have come from deep in the heart of Texas. But, back to Harvest Moon 64. The variety in the coloring of the clothing, and especially hair, is great. No two people will look alike.

The textures look fantastic. The sand really looks like sand, the signs like signs. But, I am most impressed with what the woodwork looks like. The wood looks quite real, down to the grains in each virtual two by four.

MUSIC--6
SOUND--7

The songs are fun at first but once you get to the higher 20s in the days, you hit mute until the next season. My favorite song is the Spring one. My least favorite is the Autumn one, as it is so depressing. The spring song is my favorite due to its light hearted mood.

The sound effects are a bit better than the music. The sounds made by your tools get to sound really annoying, and fake after a while. Eventually, you ax will sound to you like you are pounding on a door.

CONTROL--9
Moving is a breeze. The Control Stick makes guiding your character quite easy. However, sometimes doing some of the more specialized activities, such as picking of vegetables, hoeing, and chopping wood, you can get a bit off target. And if you accidently throw a 120 gold corn because you pressed the wrong button, I do not want to be anywhere near you. You will get angry. Very, very, angry.

FUN--9
The game only gets boring when the redundancy bears down on you in the last days of a season. Mining is always fun though, because you never know what you will get. The more valuable things you get the more money that you make. The more money you make, the more things you can buy. The more fun you will have. This strategy only applies to Harvest Moon, not to real life. I have two questions though. How come he feeds his dog vegetables, and how come he doesn't get mad at his dog when it pees on the floor. Especially on the rug.

CHALLENGE--MEDIUM TO HIGH
Harvest Moon 64 comes coupled with a very steep learning curve. It may take you the first entire season to get the hang of Harvest Moon 64, so I would advise using one of the files as a test file to get the hang of the game. Then, you can ease into actually playing the game, instead of spending the rest of the game recovering from your errors in the first few days.

REPLAY VALUE--LOW TO MEDIUM
There really is not that much incentive to bet the game once more after you have beaten it once. You can always just continue your current game, and having to start all over when you are on the fifth season can be quite depressing.

CLOSING STATEMENT
Harvest Moon 64 is by no means for everyone. It certainly is not for those without loads of patience. But, for those who have the perseverance and the patience, the rewards will be great.

OVERALL--9

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/11/00, Updated 07/18/01