Review by Obeliskos

"A great addition to the Legend of Zelda series, the best N64 game ever, new story, and the greatest game I've ever played thus far!"

I've always been a hardcore Zelda fan. I've played and sometimes beaten almost every Zelda game, but I got bored of the same old "Save Princess Zelda and defeat Ganondorf" shtick. And then there was The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, one of the greatest games with no major flaws in sight. I would know this, I beat the game, and it was the best gaming experience of my entire life. I hope you enjoy this lengthy, yet thorough review, and I hope it gives you a good idea of my opinion on it.

Majora's Mask provides the same graphics as the loved and respected Ocarina
of Time, only better... in my opinion. The great looking graphics on bosses is the best looking graphics I found on the game, personally. Not a lot to say here, so let's move on.

Calm songs, dungeon songs, ocarina songs, oh my! Great music in The Legend Zelda games is once again accomplished by the almighty Nintendo! Majora's Mask songs are a heck of a lot better than any other Legend of Zelda songs I've ever heard! Not to mention the fact that... With different Links comes different instruments. ...Heh, heh, heh, heh, copyright infringement. (Remember? "With great power comes great responsibility?"... Ah. You know what I mean.)

The story is brilliantly brilliant! Especially the change! A magical mask in the wrong hands with the power to set the moon on a collision course straight towards Clock Town and all of Termina! Unless you can return the mask to the owner in 3 days, all of Termina is as good as gone. Bom-bom-bom! (The "3 days" part doesn't exactly mean you really have 3 full days to finish. I hope you already caught that. Every hour is about a minute. Wait... Then how are you going to finish in time?! I'll leave you to find that out.)

Control: 10/10
The controls are easy to learn and are the same as Ocarina of Time, so if you're great at those controls, you don't have much to worry about. If this is your first N64 Zelda experience, then here: The A button is the action button; rolling, opening chests, talking to people, opening doors, etc. The B button is the attack button. For a normal attack, tap the B button. For a swing attack, hold the B button briefly, then let go. Press Z to target something. You can normal slash, horizontal slash, or jump-slash. The control stick moves Link around. (Duh.) The C buttons are for using items and playing notes on the Ocarina, as does A and B. The top C button is used to look around. The R button is used to shield yourself. That pretty much sums up the controls.

Replayability: 10/10
Going back through this game for fun is enough for me because I got pretty much everything my first time through. If you didn't get everything, just go back through the game and try again, because it'll be easier to beat if you get all the pieces of heart and masks. Trust me. Some are tough to find so I recommend a guide. The Official Players Guide worked best for me.

Challenge: 10/10
Majora's Mask is a game that brings quite a great challenge and everyone likes a good healthy challenge! Well, I do, at least. It may not seem harder than Ocarina of Time's nine dungeons, but these dungeons are anything but easy. From perplexing puzzles to challenging bosses, MM has to be one of the hardest of the N64 Zelda games. This game is obviously NOT for kiddies, but for experienced Zelda gamers.

Originality: 10/10
The gameplay, controls, music, audio, even the graphics are basically all the same, and yet there are new additions, that I found great, making a great balance. Mostly a sequel from OoT, but still a good balance even in the storyline, thanks to a new quest, new enemies, new features, even some new Links. (0_o) A change of pace, along with the old things still alive and kickin', creates a great balance which made this game a winner, among other things, in different opinions.

Playability: 10/10
Aside from long cutscenes, the playing experience in this game is the best. All challenge lovers will soon be dungeon lovers for this game. Puzzles, tough bosses, and mini-bosses, bring quite the challenge! If you can't stand a challenge, who cares?! That's why GameFAQs is here! Use one of the many guides it provides!... (All right GameFAQs, I put in a good name in for you, now where's my ****ing paycheck?)

Environment: 10/10
Everything you can expect from a Zelda game, and more. Swamps, mountains, canyons, oceans, plains, etc. I find this environment another great new feature, and I hope there are more Zelda games like this, some old, some new. The environment is another great change of pace, like other features!

NEW IDEAS
Masks: 10/10
The masks, the key to special points, handicaps, cutscenes, and are some times needed to continue and complete this great new storyline I found brilliant. The transformation masks, which gives you three different Links, Deku, Goron, and Zora. But, with all happy masks, you gain one other Link... I don't wanna spoil this great game for you. I'll leave that to the FAQs and guides.

The Clock: 10/10 (when you learn to make the best of your time)
The Clock is a great addition. It not only simulates a real-life experience, but increases the challenge. If you can't learn how to make the best of your time, unlike me, you may find this new feature quite frustrating and annoying. Use time-altering songs to make this less frustrating and possibly make your Majora's Mask experience more fun and interesting.

The New Fairy, Tatl: 10/10 (when you get used to the constant nagging)
Tatl, Skull Kid's friend (that is until he endangered the world, left her behind, beat up her brother, Tael, and tried to kill her new friend, Link) is Navi's replacement... That is, until Link must leave Clock Town in search for Navi yet again. After you learn to tune out her constant nagging, she a cool new feature. (Not too different from Navi, so... Yeah. Just don't press the Up C button, unless you really need help.)

Different Links: 10/10
The best new feature is definitely the different Links. The Deku Link gives you the power to launch out of big, in-ground flowers, called "Deku Launchers", which makes Deku Link air born, giving him the ability to glide. Goron Link contains the power to pound enemies, curl up, and roll around destroying everything in your path until your magic runs out. And Zora Link has the power to breath underwater, walk on the ocean floor, and throw his fins like boomerangs. I'm sorry if that spoiled any thing for you. I didn't mean to.

The New Swords: 10/10
There are new swords in MM as well as OoT, except they're way cooler and way stronger! The starting sword is the trusty, but weak, Kokiri Sword. When at the snowy mountain, there is a mountain smithy that can make you new swords. The coolest-looking sword is the Razor Sword, which is stronger than the Kokiri Sword, but needs to be returned for sharpening after 100 strikes, which costs 100 rupees and so does purchasing it in the first place. The strongest sword, without the need to be sharpened, is the Gilded Sword, which requires the golden powder, which is only won by the Goron Race, only available to enter after defeating the boss of that area. It is 100 rupees as well, but it's well worth the wait, work, and rupees. Trust me. Sadly, the Smithy can't make any sword until his flame machine is thawed out. It is like this because of the cold weather. To thaw it out, you need the Lens of Truth to climb the invisible ladder up the mountain. It is very hard and complex to get the new swords, but they're worth it. Again, I'm sorry if I spoiled anything for you, I'm just trying to be descriptive and thorough.

Buy or Rent?: Buy!
If you're loyal to the order of the Legend of Zelda, then buy this game! If you don't have an N64... Then buy one and this game, too! I'm sure you'll love it as much as I did!... Okay, not that much...

Conclusion:
This game is the best game I've ever played, I urge you to buy this game, you will not regret it. I didn't.
That's all I have to say about this game! Hope you enjoy it! (That means buy it!...) Just kidding! It's up to you! But I promise you countless hours of endless fun! I got that and much, much more! MM is, by far, one of the best games I've ever played!

*Reviewer's Note*
Forgive me for any inconveniences, spelling and/or grammar mistakes, accidental spoilers, anything offensive, and this review's length. Thank you for your time, I appreciated it.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/05/06, Updated 11/25/06