Review by TheDarkCrusader

"Groundhog's Day: The Game"

Have you ever wanted to play a game based off the movie Groundhog Day? Well, Majora's Mask is the closest you're going to get. In this game, you get relive the same three days over and over and over again.

Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time. By direct, I mean it takes place directly after. Most Zelda games have little or nothing to do with each other, and are sequels only in name and style. In Majora's Mask, the protagonist, Link, is searching for his "missing friend". It never explicitly states who this friend is, but we can assume that it is Navi, Link's annoying "partner" who served nothing in the previous game besides giving the player a targeting feature. I won't be spoiling anything by saying this: the initial problem never gets resolved. The "missing friend" is never even mentioned again after the opening. Well, on with the story...

Link as ambushed by a guy named Skull Kid and two fairies, Tatl and Tael (tattle tale, get it?). They still the Ocarina of Time and turn Link into a wooden monster called a Deku. Link chases after them, and while running he catches up with Tael who's been left behind. Tael decides to help Link and becomes a more annoying version Navi. After a short while, Link and Tael come across the land of Termina. A crazy twitching Happy Mask Salesman randomly appears and tells that Skull Kid stole a "precious item" from him. He tells Link and Tael that if they get Link's Ocarina and the "precious item" back that he'll turn Link back to normal.

After hanging out in Termina for a while you realize that the moon, is going to crash into Termina and destroy it in three days. The first three days is spent doing various things to allow you to reach the top of a clock tower. Once you do reach the top of the clock tower, you can get your Ocarina back, magically remember a song that Princess Zelda taught you a while ago, and warp three days into the past. The Happy Mask Salesman, delighted that you got your Ocarina back, turns Link back into a human and gives him a mask that allows the player to transform into a Deku and back at anytime. Angered that you didn't get the "precious item" back he tells you that it's a powerful Mask that will kill everyone or something like that. He pulls a piano out of nowhere and teaches you a song. Wow, and that's just the beginning of the game. The rest of the game is spent, trying to free Four Giants so you can fight Skull Kid and get the mask back.

The controls are the same as Ocarina of Time, so people who have played that game shouldn't have trouble picking up the controls. The major change in game play is the three day cycle. Link has three in game days (about 72 minutes, or 144 minutes if you play the Inversed Song of Time) to complete as much as possible. This is difficult at first, but after a while you get used to it and it adds more depth to the game. One of the only thing I found annoying was that all my accomplishments were forgotten, for example: if you help a couple get reunited and they get married, they'll forget about each other when you rewind time again. The other thing I didn't like about the three day cycle was saving. The only time you can permanently save is when you rewind time. I like to save often, and this game didn't allow that. Other than that, the rest of the game involves collecting various masks that allow Link to do various different things. You don't have to worry, you keep all your masks when you rewind time.

I thought Majora's Mask had a lot of potential to be better than Ocarina of Time. It's story was a lot better, and the various masks added a whole new level of game play. The three day cycle is fun, but it still limits the player a lot. It didn't meet up to it's predecessor, but it was still an awesome game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/28/07

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Collector's Edition) (US, 10/25/00)