Review by AmanDK64

"The Zelda series will always be one of the most respected series in video gaming history."

The Zelda series started off as The Legend of Zelda, for the NES. And of course, it was a blast. Many liked it. Soon, a sequel followed it also for the NES, and though it was in a different format, so to speak, it was still a big hit. Later, with the arrival of the big SNES, Nintendo decided to keep the great series going. A Link to the Past would become the next best Zelda game, which many enjoyed. Then, 8 years pass, Nintendo releases the new console, and The Zelda series makes it to the 3d world. It was something new, but in the end, many many people would love the game. Now, with the Nintendo 64 coming to its close end, many people wondered: Would we see another Zelda hit for this aging system? The answer? Yes! And not only was it a new aspect for the Zelda series, but it was also a great enjoyable game that many people see as one of the last great hits for the Nintendo 64. Now, let us delve a bit farther into this game, Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask, and see why it’s such a great game.

Graphics 10/10:
Astounding! With the expansion pack, the graphics are even better than Ocarina of Time. (NOTE: The expansion pack IS required) From the smoothness of each object in the game, to the perfect movement of each character, the graphics are indeed worthy of this game, and of Nintendo. The graphics are something to gaze at respectively, and something to enjoy. For the Nintendo 64, these graphics have surpassed that which is expected for this game.

Audio/Sound Quality 9/10:
The music and sound effects are even better than before. You will find new music in this game, along with many of the old enjoyable songs from Ocarina of Time. The sound effects are very clear and distinct, from Link’s sword colliding with an object, to the whirling sound of the wind. The sound is just one more thing to get you involved in this game. But perhaps, in my opinion, the best part about this game was that Nintendo decided to bring back the main over world theme, which was not included in Ocarina of Time. And it does sound better than before.

Story 10/10:
The story here is a bit more complex than Ocarina of Time. You start out as Link, walking in the forest with Epona. As you walk by, you find Link getting ambushed by the skull kid (The main villain) and two fairies. Not only that, but also the Skull kid steals Link’s ocarina, and runs off with Epona. Not to mention this skull kid is carrying the Majora’s Mask, a mask, which gives the Skull kid powers, not even he can comprehend. Eventually, Link chases the skull kid into Termina, the parallel universe as compared to Hyrule. There, you find out that a huge massive moon will fall and collide with this world in just three days. You, as Link, must rescue Epona, retrieve the Ocarina, and save the world from the moon, in just three days. Sounds pretty difficult, doesn’t it? But don’t worry. There is a catch. Keep reading to find out what that catch is.

Gameplay 10/10:
The controls are the same as Ocarina of Time, so if you’ve played that game, you will have no trouble getting used to the controls. However, for someone completely new to the Zelda series, it might take some time adjusting to, but in the end, you will find it to be quite easy and compatible to the game. Also, this game is quite challenging. The dungeons are a bit more difficult, as are many of the puzzles and events. And the 3-day time factor makes it even more difficult. But about that catch I told you about, well, eventually, you’ll be able to go back in time to the first day just as the third day is about to end. You can keep going back in time, but beware, for while certain things you do will save, many others will not. Therefore, you must time this accurately. The best strategy is to do complete one event/puzzle/activity, and then to go back in time and complete a new event. Also, many of the items found in the Ocarina of Time also return to you, along with some new ones. And this brings us to the main factor of the game: The masks. These masks play very important roles in many different parts of the game. There are over 20 different masks you can find and collect, and some will have different affects on Link, giving him new abilities. Also, some masks will transform Link, such as into a Zora or a Deku Scrub. I found the masks to make the game much more satisfactory. Finally, the saving system is also different, but I’ll allow you to figure that out on your own, since it could give too much of the game away. Ah, but one more thing. Many people might say that the game is short when compared to Ocarina of Time, but do not be deceived so easily. On an average, this game takes about 30-50 hours, and that is if you collect everything (Faeries, heart pieces, items, etc.). The game may seem short to you at first, but do not let it discourage you.

Replayability 8/10:
I found myself replaying Ocarina of Time repeatedly during the last year or so. Why? Because it was such a fun and enjoyable game. I, no doubt, will most likely replay Majora’s Mask again sometime in the near future. Therefore, this game is quite replayable. Also, you’ll collect many things you never did the first time around, and even when you beat the game, you may not have everything you wanted.

Buy or rent? I would buy it. (Which I did mind you) The Zelda series is always promising, and Majora’s Mask proves it.

Capping off, this game was superb. Nintendo proves that through the hardest of times, they can still dish out great games that many can and will enjoy. Despite the fact that the PS2 also came out the same day as Majora’s Mask, many people still purchased this game because of its great quality. I was one of them, and I’m completely satisfied. I guarantee you’ll like this game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 10/28/00, Updated 10/28/00