Review by Helostrom

"A sweet, but not perfect game"

Before the full review of the game begins, I'll tell you that I'm a fan of almost all RPG series, including The Legend of Zelda series, and the Final Fantasy series (except 8, it wasn't nearly as good as the others). Also, this game is one of the ''weird'' ones like Zelda 2. It takes place over 72 game hours, or about 60-72 minutes per cycle, but can be repeated over and over again.
-Now I'll start with the graphics, which are on par with many games, but not operating at the peak of the expanded N64, which is necessary to play. The most spectacular effects are when the 3 main masks are put on and merge to Link's face, as well as when you play one of the songs that exist on one of your instruments, especially the Song of Time on the Ocarina. I'll give this section 8/10.
-Also, the sound is great, but not quite perfect. All the forms that Link takes through the game have their own voices, and NPCs have individual 'voice' sounds that play when they talk like in OoT. Also the Ocarina and other instruments sound great in Majora's Mask. It's worth a 9/10.
-Gameplay is kinda weird though. Like I said earlier you have 72 hours that are replayed over and over. And some of Link's OoT abilities are not immediately available, but that's understandable. However, I found one problem in the game, and that's sometimes, Link won't run even if the Analog Stick is up against the edge of the 'pit' the stick resides in. This fact doesn't help in a few places that have to done in a short amount of time during one cycle. And sometimes there's a rumble on screen, but if you think about the revealed (outside the game) story, you would expect earthquakes from a falling Moon. So this takes a 9/10.
So overall, this game deserves a 8/10 because not of its series or company affiliation, but because it is a great game that should be quite few gamers' game libraries.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/03/00, Updated 11/03/00