Review by IceyHail

": If you want to play the same exact game, be my guest and buy this game."

Back in 1998, a game released on the N64. This game, not only revolutionized the way we look at Link and Zelda, but it's the number one video game (through the average of many internet reviews) on any recent system(check gamerankings.com). We, so used to seeing Link in 2D and being an inch tall, gazed in wonder as we looked on and saw Link slashing, crashing, mashing, all in 3D action. Think about when you first played Mario 64, and saw Mario's plumpy body in 3D running and jumping, after so many years of him being 2D. That's how it felt to millions of players when they first popped in Legend Of Zelda: The Ocarina Of Time(Toot). It was the same as Link To The Past revolutionizing all previous Zeldas.

Many say a few games tried to rival the greatness called TooT (including PS2's Dark Cloud), but no company was cheap enough to copy it exactly. Well...no company...but the ones who made the original.

My theory is that Nintendo, in a greedy manner, decided to make more money then they already did with Zelda on N64. Here's a speech they probably had:

''These kids, they love Ocarina of Time. We should take advantage and make another game just like TooT and rip the players off by charging them $59.99 for the same game but with barely different levels. Plus, we have a deadline. We need to get this game out before N64 dies out. And on top of that, we need to rival Playstation 2. So let's set the date to October 26th, 2000''

I, for one, was an idiotic player (obviously from not getting PS2 on launch day) for buying this game and being ripped off by Nintendo. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo 64 is my favorite system - and most of the games Nintendo makes are awesome - but Majora's Mask, I felt, was an exact clone of Ocarina of Time. I also felt that Nintendo just wanted to take advantage of the Zelda success and just made the EXACT same thing with absolutely NO CHANGE. I'm not saying you shouldn't take advantage of a successful game, I'm just saying the game should be a little different and they should atleast TRY to make it better then the original.

Almost everything is a copy from the original. The whole ''C buttons for items'' is the same. You press the C button to use the item. The whole menu when you press start is the same. Finding maps and keys to open yourselves to other levels is the same. There are the same moves with your sword. The towns look the same, almost. The same musical instrument is used. The levels look the same as Toot. The action button and the Z-Targeting is back. And the list just keeps going on.

Majora's Mask has you star has a Kid Link who was riding through the forest one day. ''Skull Kid'' (nice originality of name, right there Nintendo) apparently stole Epona and took Link's ocarina. After chasing him, you find yourself in a town called ''Clock Town'' (again, nice originality!::sarcasm by the way::). He is told how Skull Kid is going to crash the moon into the whole planet and Link must stop him. Link has 3 days until the moon crashes and so he must be very quick. Having a time limit in the MAIN video game is a stupid idea itself. It's just rushing you on to play the game when you want time to explore and hang out. You can, however, use the ocarina to slow down time and go back in time. Going back in time means everything you acquired will be reset except for very important things (weapons, hearts, completing a level, Epona). All the small things are reseted and it's definately quite frustrating to see your money keep going to zero and numerous other things. Anyway, Zelda is your basic adventure game. You use your sword to slash enemies that are near you. You solve puzzles and defeat bosses to complete a temple. Also, along the way you collect masks. There are a total of 24 masks, but most of them are useless. The main three are - Deku, Goron, and Zora - all famous from the previous Zelda. There are, however, only 4 temples as opposed to Ocarina's 7. More proof Nintendo rushed this game - only 4 temples. The story is kind of retarded and you'll see famous characters missing such as Ganondorf and Princess Zelda herself.

After finishing 2 temples, I just can't play this game anymore. I first realized this game being a clone after defeating the first temple. At that point, the game started sucking and I have no desire to finish the game but I probably will...some day. Only 2 temples down, and 2 more to go.

The graphics in this game are the same as Ocarina Of Time, it is the clone after all. They are good, but it's been done. They are colorful, crisp, and bright. The sword glimmering in the sun looks great. The characters in Clock Town kind of look the same with the same expressions. And the person who tells you about the whole story and about how his Skull mask was stolen, is downright freaky with all those faces he makes. Scary.

The sound/music in this game is all right. All the original Zelda tunes and Link going ''Ya! Ya!'' when he slashes an enemy is nothing extradionary.

The replay value in this game sucks. If you play the TooT and then play Majora's Mask, you'll see it's not very original. If, however, Majora's Mask was released first and was followed by TooT, by view on Majora's Mask would probably be different. It would be original and something very amazing. But it wasn't - it was just Nintendo's plan to rip kids off and grab a few more bucks.

The controls in this game are just the same in Toot, so easy to use. It's organized, you just pick the items from the menu and add it to the C buttons where it shows on the top right corner. If you want to talk to someone, you go upto them and ''Talk'' is written on the action button, and there you press B. A is your slashing button.

Graphics - 8/10
Sound - 7/10
Controls - 9/10
Originality - 4/10
Replay Value - 7/10
Overall - 6/10

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 06/15/02, Updated 06/15/02