Review by ChaosStalker87

"Best Nintendo 64 game ever..."

As soon as Nintendo released The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I was literally glued to the floor. I would play countless hours of it each and every day. I would do each and every quest. Then side quests and finally the dungeons. After beating the game for the first time, I thought it was the best game ever. Nintendo then released The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask and I have to say that, it is the best Nintendo 64 game ever made. From collecting masks to the mighty bosses. Everything in this game is perfect, in my opinion.

Why a ten you ask? Majora’s Mask delivers the goods for all action RPG fans. Once you being the game, you can visually see that it is very graphically improved from Ocarina of Time. But the masks are what steal me away. The masks are very detailed and as you get more, the cooler they look. As for the characters, they look kick ass as usual. Link is probably the best looking character model in the game and the bosses would come next. For the bosses, I’d say the last one looks the coolest. Can’t spoiler the game for you!

Control: 10/10

The controls in this game are very easy to learn and you should have no trouble learning them at all. If you have played Ocarina of Time, you won’t really need to worry about the controls. They are exactly the same as Ocarina of Time. If you are new to the game, I’ll summarize them up. The A button is for actions. Such as rolling, opening chests, talking to people and opening doors. You’ll be having to use this button frequently in dungeons. The B button is used for attacks. For normal attacks, just tap the button once. For a powerful swing attack, hold the button for a few seconds then release. If you press the Z button while attack, you can lock on to an enemy. You can do a normal slash, a jump slash or a horizontal slash. For the control stick, this makes Link move around. The C buttons are for using items that you collect and sometimes find in dungeons. Suck as masks, arrows and bombs to name a few. When you are using a bow, hold down on the assigned button and release to shoot the arrow. If you are wondering what the C up button is for, it is just to look around. The R button is to use your shield when you are fighting. That sums up the controls.

Such a brilliant storyline I must say. As you start out, you are riding Epona through a forest. All of a sudden, 2 fairies pop out and scare Epona, thus knocking you off your horse! As you are down, the Skull Kid comes around and steals your Ocarina. Once you get it back, you then are told the moon will fall down in three days! Unless you get the Majora’s Mask and bring it back to the owner of the mask shop.

Nintendo has done it yet again with beautiful in game music in the Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask. Most of us know how much Ocarina of Times’ music kicked ass, but Majora’s Mask is one hell of a lot better. For the Ocarina songs, you have new songs. Instead of all the old songs from Ocarina of Time. Wouldn’t that be a little weird using the same songs for Majora’s Mask from Ocarina of Time? I think so like most of you would. All songs are different except one. Won’t tell you people so I don’t spoil it. As you get into new forms, you can use different instruments instead of the Ocarina. The Zora uses a guitar. The big old Goron will play the bongos and the little Deku will play the pipes.

Masks: 10/10

The masks in this game are very useful and a pretty cool. What I mean by they are useful, you may need to use them at certain points at the game. For the masks that transform you, they are: Zora’s Mask, Goron’s Mask and the Deku’s Mask. Those masks will need to be used in certain dungeons. As for the rest of the masks, you just collect them and use them as you wish. Here is a tip, you will need all of the masks at the end of the game.

Replayability: 10/10

If you beat this game the first time and do not have all the masks, I advise you to play Majora’s Mask again until you get all of them. Trust me, you will want to get every single piece of heart and every mask until fighting the last boss. But they may be very hard to find, some of them. I would say use a guide if I was you. But that’s just me.

Buy or Rent?: Buy!

Buy this game without even questioning yourself. If you don’t have a Nintendo 64, I would say go buy one and this game. You won’t be disappointed, I promise you that. Is it worth the 50$? Yes. Will you have countless hours of fun? I bet you will…

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/09/03