Review by FishTaco64

"Yet Another Amazing Zelda Game"

Introduction
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is one of the greatest video games of our time. In my opinion, it is passed only by The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Fans of the Legend of Zelda series will not be disappointed in the least by this game. It is fun, challenging, and exciting. It is one of the best games in one of the best series of all time. It is also HUGE. There are many side quests that can be done in this game which allows you to break off from the main game for a little while and have fun. If you do not like working with a time limit and need a lot of time to achieve tasks, than this is probably not a good game for you to play. If you want to have a very easy, 10 hour game, than you will probably not like this game. Otherwise, you'll love it and want to play it for hours on end.

Storyline 10/10
This was pure genius! It was not the best game storyline ever but it was still very good. This game takes place after the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The story is of a young hero named Link who leaves his homeland of Hyrule in search of an old friend with whom he parted ways after he fulfilled his destiny and claimed his place among legends. Along the way he is ambushed by an imp called the Skull Kid and his fairy friends. The Skull Kid steals Link's horse and the Ocarina of Time. Link chases the Skull Kid to Clock Town in the land of Termina. The Skull Kid then transforms Link into a Deku Scrub. Link continues his pursuit until he meets a mask salesman. The mask salesman tells Link that the Skull Kid stole a very powerful magical mask from him called Majora's Mask. The mask is too powerful for the Skull Kid to control and it is using him as a puppet. The mask salesman tells Link that if he can get back Majora's Mask and the Ocarina of Time, that he will change him back to his original form. The Skull Kid is using Majora's Mask to make the moon steadily fall toward Termina. Link has three days to stop it. Feeling a lot of pressure? Don't worry. After Link recovers the Ocarina of Time he is able to turn time back to the first day of his quest.

Gameplay 10/10
I repeat, this game is HUGE. If you decide to take on all of the side quests which I highly recommend, this game will probably take 50+ hours to beat! The three day(72 minute) time limit makes this game even more fun. Each different day, each different person has something new to say. Certain events only happen at certain times on certain days. It might take you awhile to get the hang of the flow of time but it won't take too long. If you perform certain actions on the first day, it might cause something to happen on the third day. This game is brilliant! Take the time to explore every inch of Termina on every day and every night. You can travel from the tops of mountains to the bottom of the ocean. You can go from the bottom of a huge canyon to the center of a swampland. You can explore a busy town and play games there. There are 24 different masks in this game and each one has something special about it. Try talking to certain people while wearing certain masks and sometimes the response is very funny! You never know what you might discover. If you thought that the boss fights were too easy in other Legend of Zelda games then put your fears to rest! One of the bosses in this game is very hard to beat. The land of Termina is filled with all sorts of people, places, monsters, and puzzles just waiting for you to discover them.

Graphics/Sound 9/10
When I saw the graphics on this game, I was completely amazed. It completely blew my mind! Everything in this game looks so realistic. You can see the individual leaves in a tree for crying out loud! The sound quality is also amazing. The noises the Link makes when he falls from a very high place are very good. I also really enjoyed the tense music that is in the background while you are fighting certain enemies. The only thing I didn't like about this entire game was that the characters didn't talk out loud. Reading the words off of the TV screen is just not the same thing as hearing those same words being spoken. Almost every character does have some sort of sound they make while they are talking so I think they should just say everything out loud. The graphics on this games are so good that you can close your eyes and see yourself in the land of Termina.

Re-Playability 10/10
There is so much to do in this game that I don't see how anyone could ever get bored of it. I would recommend that each time you play this game, you set a certain goal you want to reach during that game. For example, get all heart containers, get all weapon upgrades, beat the game in 15- hours, get 5000 rupees in your bank account, collect all of the stray fairies, get all of the masks, beat all of the mini games, beat the game with only three hearts, don't get any weapon upgrades. I am currently on my fourth time through this game and I still haven't done everything there is to do. Every action you do sets off a chain of events. You never know when talking to a person on the first day will enable you to do something important on the third. If you wear different masks while you are talking to people you will sometimes get a very funny reaction or even a prize. Searching out every one of this game's little secrets will bring you hours of fun and exciting adventures through the land of Termina.

Buy or Rent?
I would buy this game. It is simply to long to rent. If you rush through the game you not enjoy it at all. So I would strongly recommend buying it. If you do not enjoy adventure games or long, complex games, than I would recommend you neither buy nor rent this game as you would probably not enjoy it and it would just be a waste of money. If you have a friend who does own it see if you can borrow it from them to see if you enjoy the game. If you are a big fan of adventure games or of the Legend of Zelda series, than I would highly recommend buying this game. This is an excellent addition to the much beloved Legend of Zelda series, and an excellent sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

In Conclusion
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is the perfect adventure game. I would recommend this game for the average gamer. It is not a game for very small children to play. For them it would be too hard and there are fighting scenes and monsters that might frighten them. This is not a good game for someone who just wants to beat in a couple days or in their spare time. This game will be a favorite for years to come. In my opinion, it is one of the best adventure games of all time. It is not so hard that you will not enjoy but it is challenging enough to make you think. It is easily one of the best games for Nintendo 64 game console. The Legend of Zelda series is, in my opinion, the greatest series of games of all time and I also believe that Majora's Mask is truly worthy of bearing the name Zelda. It may not be as great as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time or The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, but it is still a simply amazing game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/25/05