Review by general531

"A timeless classic revived"

I just can not explain the wonders that Ocarina of Time brought me. The scenery is jaw-dropping beautiful. The controls are innovative as well as intuitive. The depth is just epic. The soundtrack is just majestic. The items provided an all-new use for them. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was hands-down the best game of the Nintendo 64 and it is once again available. This time on the Nintendo Wii 's Virtual Console. Download it now.

Graphics:
The graphics are just wonderful. The scenery is just beautiful. The animation is smooth. The effects take full advantage of the N64. My only gripe is that distant backgrounds look like cardboard cut-outs. Nevertheless, the graphics are outstanding. In fact, I want to see this game using the Wii 's technology.

Control:
The Z-targeting (now L-targeting) feature is innovative and very helpful. Aiming is precise. The feel of the controls are perfect. The horse also controls great.

I recommend using the game-cube controller, especially if you have played this game on the collector's edition disc or the master quest disc.

Game Design:
The depth is just unexplainable. Ocarina of Time contains time travel, spider hunting, slingshot archery, horseback archery, three magic spells, three new arrow types, and more. The night and day element alternates outdoor strategy as well at which home and store you can enter.

The ocarina can play tunes that have certain effects. Each tune has a specific effect. Six of the tunes have different effects. The other six tunes can warp you to certain areas. There is even another song that you can teach a scarecrow. The scarecrow learns the 8-note song. This song becomes the "Scarecrow Song". In all, Link learns 13 songs.

Time travel is a key feature of this game. Link's adventure travels through seven years. This is the game that introduces us to adult Link. Which time period Link is in affects towns and which items and weapons he can use.

Speaking of weapons, Link gets some new toys to use. The new weapons include the slingshot, Bomb-chu, lens of truth, and a big two-handed sword. There are new types of bows: the fire, ice, and light arrows.

This game is depth galore. There are a lot of mini-games and side-quests.

Audio:
The music is wonderful and nicely edited. The soundtrack is majestic and will wrap you up in the game.

The sound effects are pulled-off well. Explosions and clashing swords are not over-emphasized.

The voice-acting is non-existent. Voicing is limited to Link's grunts and screams.

Overall:
Ocarina of Time is one of the best games I have ever played. Everything is done right. You will keep playing and playing for a long, long time. There is no flaw in this game, period.

Should I Download?
There is no excuse not to download this game unless you have the collector's edition disc or the Master Quest disc.

Score: 10 out of 10 and my highest recommendation.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 03/01/07