Review by gothic_chic

"At long last!!!"

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (for Virtual Console)

Zelda games are known for a lot of things: puzzle solving, legendary swords, bombs and boomerangs, the princess herself, the Triforce, that stupid timeline, and just plain out addicting gameplay that kept us up all those nights and caused our eyes to get sore from staring at the screen for countless hours. In the end, all Zelda games were worth the time you spend playing them and even after you beat them, there's always a feeling that there's so much more you've yet to discover, whether it be item upgrades or every Heart Piece. Every 2-D Zelda game I've played has been so much fun and the 3-D ones were outstanding as well. But, the one Zelda game I wanted to play was Ocarina of Time, which I had heard was the greatest of all the Zelda games, the perfect Zelda experience any gamer had ever experienced. And I craved that game.

At last, after FOREVER I get to experience Ocarina of Time in all its N64, legendary goodness! I'd waited so long to play it and after purchasing it as my first VC game on the Virtaul Console, I had my chance! This game is truly a masterpiece, dare I say: the greatest game of all time in the whole universe. In short: everyone should download it. This game is better than Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Minish Cap, and A Link to the Past all combined together. It's challenging, addictive, and just the greatest gaming experience ever! It is simply 100% the best Zelda game. Okay, for your sanity, I'll just shut up and review the game. *Cracks knuckles*

Graphics

One of the many problems about reviewing old games is that when it has come time for me to review the graphics, I can't just trash their supreme blockyness, because like most people over 90, its not their fault that they're, well, ancient. So, I will use the type of thinking I had used back in 1998 when this game was released (AND I MISSED IT! GRR!). Wow! The graphics are top notch. The 3-D scenery is just so pretty and detailed, truly bringing the land of Hyrule to life, from its quiet forests to the busy streets of Hyrule Town. The character models look great (especially Link, hee,hee!). This game has better graphics then the PS1's titles did.

Since this game was released on the VC, the graphics are less blurry and look smoother than that of its N64 counterpart. I did not realize this improvement until after I realized other family members were not getting headaches when they looked at the screen (they get headaches when I play old PS1 games). ANYWAY, so this game won't give you a headache or a migraine. The point is, the graphics won't bother any players unless you're a graphics junkie (even though its the GAMEPLAY you should be worrying about!).

Story

One of the reasons there's a timeline theory being discussed over is because of this game. I'm not going to spoil anything; I'm just letting you know that if you're trying to compose a Zelda timeline, but haven't played this game, you will certainly want to.

Link is a young boy, who is awakened by a fairy named Navi, who tells him that he is summoned by the Great Deku Tree, the leader of the Kokiri children of whom Link lives among. The Great Deku Tree sends Link out of the forest he has always known to Hyrule Castle where he must meet up with Princess Zelda, where his destiny as a Hero will ultimately begin. Annnnddddd...if I wrote anymore I'd spoil stuff. The story is the heart of the Zelda series, since it contains the origin of Hyrule's creation and the Triforce. It's also a bit complicated if you examine the story super closely. If you don't care about the timeline or you're more for good gameplay than a good storyline, you might find the story to be ordinary. Not clichéd or "heard it before a thousand times", just plain.

Music and Sound

Koji Kondo worked on the music in these game and I have to say this has to be some of his greatest work yet. Every location you explore in this game has a particular song to match the mood of the setting, every song being a feast for your ears. From the happy, child-like music of Kokiri Forest to the awesome Hyrule Field theme to the strangely wonderful music in Zora's Domain, I love all of it! Some fans complained that the original Zelda theme was not in this one, but I didn't miss it. Not that I don't love the Zelda theme, it's just I'm not angry that it's not there. Besides, the overworld theme in this game is superb.

Everyone should remember some of the songs Link can play on the ocarina: Saria's Song, Zelda's Lullaby, and my personal favorite, the Song of Storms. There's many more than the ones I listed, but I'm too impatient to type them down right now.

There is no voice acting, frankly that's the way it should always be. The characters make gasps, grunts, and some times say small phrases like "Yes" or something like that. Link is still mute (actually, he's really not, since the player is supposed to "become Link" when he plays any Zelda game, therefore that must mean Link is actually me when I play it and he becomes you when you play it. Whatever...), but he makes yells of fury when he attacks, gasps, and screams when he is pain.

Gameplay/Challenge

Rest assured, if it hadn't been for OOT's gameplay, Twilight Princess and the Wind Waker wouldn't be the great games that they are today. This game first featured the beloved Z-targeting system thanks to Link's annoying friend, Navi. That means no more stray arrows or missed attacks! Link has an arsenal of items again, such as a bow and arrows, boomerang, and the Hookshot to name a few. But, the main item of the game is the Ocarina. Throughout the game, Link learns songs to play on the Ocarina, each song having unique powers that can open doorways, trigger reactions from other characters, change the weather, and can warp Link to locations across Hyrule's map. The dungeons you visit have their usual share of enemies, complex puzzles, and unique items. The temples in OOT are actually harder that of TP. They will all challenge you and they will take a fair amount of time to beat, which just makes the game even better than ever!

The main attraction of Ocarina is the dual world system, or what I like to call the child and adult world system. What the dark world/light world was to A Link to the Past, the child/adult system is to Ocarina of Time. Later in the game, you can freely travel seven years into the future or into the past. Unlike the light/dark worlds, these two worlds are more different from one another and the people you meet in the past are much different in the future as well. Some of the jerks you meet in the past become more reformed in the future and some of the people you meet in the past become the biggest cheating, lying IDOTS- I think I'll stop there. Another big difference between the two time periods is that young Link and adult Link cannot use the same items. And there's even some sidequests young Link can't do, but adult Link can. You get my drift.

The only downside is the games lack of the Rumble Pack. This wouldn't have been a problem if it hadn't been for the fishing minigame and the Stone of Agony, an item you can earn later in the game, is now of no use, since you need the Rumble Pack to be able to use it at all. But, I never had the N4 version of the game, so I never knew whether the Stone of Agony was even useful or not, so I'm okay with the fact that there's no Rumble Pak feature.

Replayability

There isn't a second quest or anything, but the game is still certainly worth playing again. It will all depend on if you loved the game or not, but if you loved it I'm 55% sure that you'll play it again. The sidequests are a lot of fun, making it a good thing that the game is chock full of them. For a completionest, this game will intensely challenge you to find every Gold Skullta, beat every high score in the minigames, and to collect every Heart Piece until you've got all twenty of them. Oh, did I mention there's magic in this game? There's three spells Link can learn and they're really cool. But, OOT wouldn't be complete without an creepy, optional dungeon would it? Well, it's got one and it's slightly less hard than Twilight Princess' Cave of Ordeals.

Overeview

PROS
+ Clearer and smoother graphics.
+ The storyline that explains most of what we
wanted to know about the Triforce's origin.
+ An astonishing musical score.
+ Z-Targeting!
+Superb gameplay that will get you addicted to it.
+ There are actually harder dungeons in this Zelda than TP! *gasp*
+ Even without a second quest or anything additional
to obtain if you play the game for a second time around, it's
still worth playing again!
+ Loads and loads of side quests to tackle.

CONS
- The storyline might be too ordinary if you don't care about a timeline
or anything.
- No Rumble Pak means the Stone of Agony isn't useable.

Game's Score: 10

Last Comments
Ocarina of Time was everything I thought it would be. How anyone couldn't like a game like that is confusing at best to me. I wish more games were made like this nowadays. Nintendo could probably outdo this title if they made the next Zelda for the Wii with all of this game's strengths, but then, add Twilight Princess' controls and updated graphics and the perfect Legend of Zelda title could be put into existence.

Well, this review beats my Twilight Princess and Sonic and the Secret Rings reviews! I thank you, the reader, for taking your time to read this.

-June 13th, 2007