Review by 6xdandangp

"Nintendo blows its first attempt at a 3D Zelda game."

For some odd reason, people always enjoy the Legend of Zelda series, especially the 3D ones these days. I, for one, enjoyed the 2D Zeldas much more and haven't really enjoyed most of the 3D Zelda games, I've tried, though.

Gameplay 3/10
When you find a monster, it's usually just hacking and slashing with relatively no strategy. There's really no challenge in this game except for a couple bosses. There are few bosses and even fewer that prove a challenge, the 3D Zeldas changed the original strategy based game into a hack and slash game.

Graphics 4/10
The actual graphics are what you would see on an average Nintendo 64 game, but the cutscenes and animation are much weaker. Everything looks cartoonish and not realistic like it does in Super Mario 64. The way the people move or even how they blink are very unrealistic and Zelda doesn't look as good in 3D than she did in 2D, look at those ears, seriously! I would have perferred the more cartoonish look in Super Mario 64 than the look in this game, because it fits that game better than it does in this one.

Story 2/10
The story is obviously a Zelda game's weakest point, and this game is no different. Basically, the game opens with Navi awakening Link from a nightmare, that's all I can say without spoiling it for you due to the no spoilers rule. This nightmare really doesn't have much to do with the story and there's no reason why a normal boy would try to save the world just because of that nightmare.

Sound 3.5/10
What is Koji Kondo thinking when he composed the music for this game? 16-bit music is for the SNES, not the N64. The tracks you hear sound scarcely better than A Link to the Past, some tracks might not sound better at all. Considering what the N64 can do, I was very disappointed in the sound.

Replay value 3/10
People can beat this game in...15-25 hours or so, that's not a lot of time at all. There's also no point in playing this game again since there's very few sidequests and you only play the sidequests for items, not for enjoyment. There's also times where you're almost forced to look up a guide because you don't know what to do.

Overall 3.1/10
Ocarina of Time is yet another game that doesn't live up to its hype, at least for me. If you never played this game before, I'd recommend you not to. If you're a hardcore Zelda fan who, for some reason, haven't played this game. Who am I to stop you from getting it?

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 07/29/09

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (US, 11/23/98)