Review by zack125

""I've been waiting for you, Hero of Time...""

Let's be honest. I played this game a lot when I was a kid. So much that my friends would ask me if I could help them through a section of the game and I would help them. Ocarina of Time was my favourite Zelda game and it wasn't the first Zelda game I played, A Link to the Pas was. I know I talked about Ocarina of Time in the past tense, mainly because it isn't my favourite Zelda game anymore but it barely made the second spot.

Gameplay
The newest thing that has been introduced in Ocarina of Time is the Z-Targeting. The other 3-D Zelda games had a similar targeting system. Basically, you press the Z Button when an enemy is nearby and you'll attack them without aimlessly attacking your enemies. The next thing is your sidekick, Navi the Fairy. What she does is help you on your quest by describing the enemies and telling you where to go. That's the only thing that really bothers me in this game. You can't do a simple sidequest or even explore the world map without Navi telling you to get back to your quest, like every five minutes. At first, it is nice to have someone telling you where to go if you're lost or don't know what to do but it would have been nice to have some kind of feature to turn her off.

Story
The story in a Zelda game has never been strong, but you'll still learn about Ganondorf, how the three goddesses created the world and the creation of the Triforce. There's not much more to it without revealing some spoilers.

Replayability
Ocarina of Time may last up to 10-15 hours just for the main quest. It'll take a bit more if you plan on beating it 100%. There are a lot of things you can do for 100% like mini-games, which include archery, horse racing, fishing, etc. There's also sidequest like 100 Golden Skultulas to destroy, heart pieces to be found, Poes to destroy, etc.

However, the only thing it lacks is the difficulty. Playing this game doesn't offer much of a challenge. However, people have found different ways to increase the difficulty like a 3 heart challenge, where you don't pick up any heart containers or heart pieces throughout the game.

Final Recommendations
I recommend anyone to buy this game. If you can't find Ocarina of Time on the N64, then there are other versions that have been released like on the GameCube and the Virtual Console.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/17/09, Updated 12/22/09

Game Release: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (US, 11/23/98)