Review by Psycho Penguin

"Wanna play a real Zelda game? Sorry, no can do. Not here, anyways."

First off, Id like to thank the 2.6 million people who emailed me after giving Zelda 64 a score of only five. Look, I really did not like the game back then. Hey, I still do not really like this game like some people do (well, like most people do!) Unlike most people, I do not think this is the best 64 game of all time... Hell, it isn't even in my favorite 20 Nintendo 64 game list.. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for those stupid dungeons in Quest, I'd probably like Quest better!! Now, onto the good things featured in the game that I just happened to find. Zelda is a somewhat decent game that does the series justice. The graphics are quite good and stuff, but do not expect a god-like fun game like most people and magazines describe. It's good, but overall it's my second worst of the Zelda games (stupid Links Awakening..)

Do not think I am biased against Nintendo, please, because I am really not biased against either Nintendo or the Zelda series. I enjoyed the original Zelda, Zelda 2, and the incredible Zelda: Link to the Past, but I could just not get into Ocarina of Time. I really do not know why this is true, because I did expect to somewhat enjoy this game, but I was rather disappointed with the experience. I might be the only person to play this game that did not like this game that much, but that is my own opinion. You will probably end up loving it, too, but just be warned that there is at least one person out there that did not like it.

I did not enjoy the story line in this game, not one bit. The story line is confusing and terrible. And yes, I am not stupid (thanks to all those people who called me ''SquareSoft lover only''), because I’m not really a huge fan of SquareSoft to the point where I only like SquareSoft story lines. After all, I really enjoyed the story lines in Star Ocean 2 and Breath of Fire 3. But this story line isn't good at all. Somehow, people think its cool that Link travels back in time! Want a real time travel game?? Play Chrono Trigger on Super NES instead (yes i know its a SquareSoft game but its still a GREAT game)

Okay, so the graphics are good, sure. But what do you expect? This is the Nintendo 64's most important game. It better have good graphics! The enemies are inticately designed and the sprawling dungeons are huge and full of graphical detail. Sadly enough, I think Nintendo spent a little bit too much time worrying about the graphics in the game and not enough time working on the other stuff of the game, and it really shows.

First off, let me tell you about the dungeon designs in the game, since I just have to bring this up. The designs are awesome, as they feature incredible backgrounds and sprawling, well designed enemies and characters. I really liked the boss designs in the game, as well, and I especially enjoyed the fact that the bosses were not only so large and massive, but also the fact that they were also so well detailed. This is definitely a good thing, in my opinion, and I think Nintendo did a wonderful job with the dungeon designs.

The rest of the graphics are great, as well, as the backgrounds in the game are especially well varied. Expect a lot of RPG fare when it comes to backgrounds, for instance towns, etc. are featured in the game, as are things like forests, etc. Think of it as Link to the Past in 3D. The sad thing is, I actually prefer the graphics in Link to the Past, not because I am biased against 3D, just because that is my own personal preference. I do not know why it is, it just is.

Music in the game is a mixed bag, to say the least. I did like a majority of the music in the game, but I did have some problems with it, as well. First off, let me talk about the things I liked about the music in the game. I am not going to sit here and lie to you and say the music in the game is terrible, because guess what? The music in the game is not terrible. In fact, it is pretty good. I liked most of the tunes in the game, and felt Nintendo did a great job with them.

So, the music that IS featured in the game is good, so what do I have a problem with? The music that IS NOT featured in the game! Can you believe Nintendo had the nerve to not include the classic Zelda theme from the previous Zelda games? You know the theme I am referring to here. Now, I am not going to try to sound like a huge geek here, but I actually liked that theme featured in the original Zelda games, so I was rather disappointed when I did not hear it at all, throughout the game.

Sound effects in the game are rather interesting. The main sounds you will hear are pretty interesting. The two main ones you will hear are Link's voice acting and actions, and the fairy's voice. The fairy's voice is VERY funny, and I like how she says ''wake up!'' whenever you stop for a little bit. She sounds awesome and I crack up every time I hear her, because she really does sound like a little girl, which is what most people think fairies are to begin with. The sound effects are pretty good, although they are nothing special.

I am not the world's biggest fan of the analog stick. I wish this game used the directional pad, as well. Then it would be easier to control. Trying to climb over anything is a chore, and the lack of a jump button really hurts. Sure you can jump automatically when you HAVE to, but what if you want to jump over an enemy? Nope. Sorry! I was rather frustrated by this control element, because it did not provide you with full freedom.

The camera system in the game is great, however, and unlike the camera system in *certain* other games, I really had no problem with the camera in this game. The only time it got a little out of focus is when it would go up against a wall and then swing back to you, that got rather annoying. Otherwise, I am pleased to say that the camera in the game works well and does not interfere in your game play that much, it still does somewhat but it is not that bad.

Now, I will talk about the thing that disappointed me most about Ocarina of Time, the actual game play. I am not going to say this was a horrible game, because in fact it was not. I actually enjoyed playing this game somewhat. I will now talk about some of the good points I found in this game.

The number one thing I enjoyed about this game were the mini games. I really had an outstanding time playing though these mini games, although they do not seem to show up enough, only scattered around in a few times throughout the game. I really loved the mini games in this one, especially the stuff like the bowling game, as I felt it added a lot of depth to a game that didn't really need much depth, but it did add fun factor which is always a plus.

Another good thing I found about this game was the dungeons in the game. As some of you may know, I have always been a huge fan of the dungeons in the Zelda series, so I expected the dungeons in Ocarina of Time to be really good, especially considering the fact this was supposed to be the Zelda series's best game yet. And the dungeons were great for the most part, especially the water temple, with the various mazes. I did find a few faults with them though, which I will address in a minute.

You just heard the good points I found in the game. Yes, I did find two points in the game that I felt were good, which always count for something. I especially enjoyed the fun and well varied mini games featured in the game. However, as you may expect, I found a lot of faults in the game. Let me discuss those now.

First off, this game is just like Final Fantasy 8 in my opinion. Take a popular series, make a whole bunch of game play changes, release it to an adoring public who fail to realize the serious faults found in it. I found a lot of problems in this game, mainly the whole weapon and item system.

I was really fed up with the items in this game, personally. Deku Nuts and Deku Sticks? Please. This is not my idea of fun. Remember in the good old days where you could beat the game with bombs and candles? Those days are long gone, now you are forced to collect such crap as Deku Nuts and Deku Sticks. It really got annoying after a while, and I really did not like the items in the game, at all.

Another major problem I found with the game is that it is too unbalanced. I don't know what it was about this game, but a lot of it was rather boring. I spent at least 60 percent of my time playing through the game wandering aimlessly around the dungeon, forest, wherever I was at, but for what? Just to find some rupees. Sigeru Miyamoto may have wanted to make the perfectly designed game, and a lot of the dungeon and stage designs in the game are great, but they could have been better and more balanced.

Finally, while I hate to compare this game to the older games in the series, I feel as if I must here. I really did not like this game at all, especially when compared to the other games in the series. All sense of exploration in the game seems to be gone. I remember when I stayed up late nights playing through the original Zelda just to get a candle or raft. Unfortunately, there is no such luck in this game. It just did not have the same feeling. I did not expect it to have the same exact feeling, but it could have been put together a little bit better.

You'd want to play through to the end, then you'd end up using this game as a doorstop or something.. it simply does not provide the player with as much replay value as I would have expected. When you get a game that is supposed to be bigger and better than all of the previous games in the series, and you end up playing all the previous games in the series more than you end up playing through the ''bigger and better'' addition to the series, then the game has a problem. And that is the one big problem Ocarina of Time faces, the fact that the other games in the series have more replay value (well, besides you know what game in the series)

This is a rather challenging game, one of the more challenging games on the Nintendo 64, in my opinion. I really did like the challenge level of the game, as I feel like an ''epic'' quest deserves to be a difficult game, and Ocarina of Time was certainly a very difficult game. It was not the most challenging game ever, but I do admit that I had a lot of problems completing it, especially the various dungeons, etc. The bosses were pretty challenging, as well.

Playing through this game is about as much fun as trying to break into Kevin McAllister's home. And about as painful. Don't even bother. And to all those who love this game, it isn't worth playing through 100 hours of gameplay!! The only game that is good enough to play on the Nintendo 64 for that long is Goldeneye (unless you're dating Britney Spears or Jennifer Lopez, of course. But of course, if you were dating them, you wouldn't be wasting your time reading this review, right? :)

I was very disappointed with the way this game turned out, and felt it should have been so much better than what it ended up being. I really was let down by the whole experience and felt the game provided me with very little instances of fun, although some of the parts of the game are actually pretty fun once you get into them. The exploration aspect is not fun, however.

Good Points
-This is not as long and tedious as a King Broccoli review.
-The graphics in the game are really good.
-The music that is featured is great.
-Great fun and varied mini games

Not so Good Points
-I am not King Broccoli. That might be a good point to some.
-The classic Zelda theme is not featured.
-The game really disappointed me, it was just not that much fun for me.
-The replay value in the game... *sigh*

I Run Down the Ratings!
Storyline - 2.1/10
Graphics - 9.3/10
Music and Sound Effects - 8.3/10
Gameplay and Control - 3.3/10
Replay Value - A Little Below Average
Challenge - Way Above Average
Overall - 3.4/10
The Last Line: I am not King Broccoli. And this is not a classic game, in my eyes.

Reviewer's Score: 3/10 | Originally Posted: 08/21/00, Updated 07/16/01