Review by Metalguru

"There will never be a game is this masterpiece."

There are some games that are good, some that are innovative, and some that just flat out destroy everything in its path. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time is a game that destroys everything in its path. This game, in my opinion is the greatest game ever made not only for the Nintendo 64, but also in the history of video games. This game is an epic masterpiece. I know that is saying a lot for just a video game, but when you play it, the game displays a whole new level of greatness. The graphics are incredible, the gameplay is legendary and innovative, the control is tight, the sound is flawless, and… everything about the game is PERFECT. This game is amazing from beginning to end; nothing is better than this game. I loved every feature this game had to offer to me. The dungeons were expansive and clever, the bosses were scary and fun, the characters were all unique, and the weapons/items were very useful and cool. Words cannot express how much fun I had playing this game. This game is very addicting; I played this game for hours. There has never been a game like Ocarina, and there will never be a game that will compare to it.

This game is so fun and unique; it uses so many different elements of games to create a perfect. You use stealth, brains, your bow and arrow, your sword, heck, you even use racing skills! There is so much stuff to do in Ocarina of Time. You can save Hyrule from the clutches of Ganon, help the citizens with their own personal tribulations, participate in mini-games, or just explore the expansive world of Hyrule! All of the dungeons are very unique and fun. My favorite dungeon is the Fire Temple. In this particular dungeon you must make your way through the dungeon to save the Goron people, and at the same time you must set free some of the imprisoned Goron citizens. The boss battles are all epic and unique. In one you are trying to hurl bombs into a giant, fire breathing, lizard monster, and in another, you are in an epic sword fight with an evil shadow clone of yourself! In the end, you are engaged in an epic battle with the evil one himself, Ganondorf. You deflect power orbs, fire arrows, and use your might master sword all in one battle! It is crazy. There is a large variety of very fun mini-games. You can go bowling with bombs, have target practice with your arrows, or trying to capture chickens in an old barn. Something in this game that I really enjoyed is that you get your own noble stallion to travel through the wide fields of the Hyrule countryside! It makes it way easier to get around the Hyrule kingdom in a faster, more efficient way. Something in Ocarina of Time that is really innovative is the brand-new targeting system. This new system is used in practically all types of video games ranging from Grand Theft Auto 3 to Dark Cloud. This new system allows you to actually target the enemy and hit him dead on instead of swinging violently, hoping that you hit the enemy. This is one of the most copied aspects in video game, and for good reason. It totally rules! Another new element that is introduced is the use of your ocarina. The ocarina was featured in A Link to the Past but wasn’t used very much. In Ocarina of Time, the ocarina is the most important item you have in your inventory. You can use it to activate magic spells, travel through time, and more! It is very cool. So, overall I thought the gameplay in Ocarina of Time is the centerpiece, the gem. I don’t remember a boring part in the game. That is how awesome this game is!

The sound is this game is like a digital serenade coming from a cartridge. Even though the original Legend of Zelda theme is absent in this entry into the Zelda series, the music in this game more than makes up for it. All of the music is very catchy and well done. But I do have to say that my favorites are the music that is played in the Hyrule town by the castle and the music that is played in the Lost Woods. Much like Streets of Rage 2, they should make a CD for this great game! The sound effects were amazing also in Ocarina of Time. Ganon’s evil laughs the clinging of two swords, and the explosions. Link’s voice is featured in this game, but he doesn’t talk because in this game because the hero never talks ever. Nobody in this game talks anyway, and nobody ever talks in any Nintendo 64 game anyway; so it doesn’t really matter if it is just the classic, same old subtitles that is featured in most Nintendo games. I don’t think that there has ever been real voice acting in a cartridge game. But overall, I thought the sound in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was amazing.

The graphics in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time are amazing! Link’s transition into the 3d world was done smoothly. I love how they made Hyrule have its own little clock so it would turn morning or night. I think that Ocarina of Time may have been the first game to do something like that. I liked how all the dungeons were made. They were all different from each other, and all looked very detailed. I think that my favorite looking dungeon was the Spirit Temple. It was located in the desert and looked very exotic compared to the other cold and dead dungeons of the dark ages like the Forest Temple. Probably one the more strange dungeons of not only Ocarina of Time, but also the whole Zelda series was the “Inside Jabu Jabu’s Belly” dungeon. You have to rescue Princess Zora because this giant monster swallowed her! You know what that means! You must go inside his belly and get her out. This stage looks positively strange. You seem to be exploring this giant sea creature’s belly and having sword fight’s with his tonsils! It is very strange looking, but also very fun. I loved the way the characters were designed. Link looks as cool as ever (what’s with the earring?) and Ganon looks as evil as ever. All of the bosses looked very cool, especially the flaming serpent boss at the Fire Temple. Hyrule is a giant, expansive land filled with danger and secrets. Sometimes it is just fun to explore the giant land and see what you find. The graphics in Ocarina of Time are incredible. This game is eye candy.

Control: 9/10
The controls in Ocarina of Time are very well done. It is easy to handle Link as he fights enemies, solves puzzles, and hops platforms. The Z-targeting system made it easier to fight enemies. In the old games, it was a little difficult to hit your enemies; but now it is a breeze to fight off hostile monsters! It may be a little weird to handle Link with the very strangely made Nintendo 64 control, but after a while it becomes very easy. The only real problem that I had was using the bow and arrow. In one of the dungeons (I forgot which one) you have to shoot an eye above a door. Sounds easy right? Well, you have to shoot it on a moving platform and make sure it goes through a flame so it will work. That was probably one of the more frustrating parts in the game. Other than that, I thought the controls in this game were pretty solid.

Replay Value: 6/10
There isn’t much replay value featured in this Zelda game, or any Legend of Zelda game for that matter. The only reason you could want to play this game after you have beaten it is if you want to try to get all of the mini-games and or side-quests completed. You may even want to complete the game to get it done in a faster time or for no reason at all. If these are the reasons, then you really have way too much time on your hands!

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is with out a doubt THE greatest game ever made in the history of video games. Never in my life have I ever been so into a game; this game deserves the top spot on my list and many other people’s list as greatest game ever. The gameplay is magnificent, the graphics are incredible, the controls are very well done, and the sound is very catchy and made with great dexterity. I suggest that everyone who hasn’t played this game should go out and play it now. If you want to play a game that will completely blow you away, play this game now!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/01/04