Review by FishTaco64

"The Best Game of All Time!"

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is, in my opinion, the best game ever! It is the best game for the Nintendo 64 for sure. It lives up to and outshines the standards that people have come to expect from the Legend of Zelda series. Everything about this game was magnificent. If you like the other games in the Legend of Zelda series, than you will love Ocarina of Time. It truly lives up to other game in this series such as The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and The legend of Zelda: Link to the Past. I think this wonderful series of games surpasses even the Mario series and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is by far the best game in this series. I don't think that there will ever be another game as good as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. If you enjoy long, challenging, and exciting adventure games, than you will love The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The land of Hyrule is a vast, exciting world with secrets and adventures just waiting to be discovered. You can travel from the very top of a tall mountain to the bottom of a deep lake, from a vast forest to a huge desert. Go forth now into the land of Hyrule and see what you can discover!

Storyline 10/10
For many years the Great Deku Tree kept watch over the Kokiri children of the forest. Each child had a fairy partner who lived with them from birth to death. There was a boy named Link who did not have a fairy. The Deku Tree sent the fairy Navi to Link to bring Link to the Deku Tree. The Deku Tree told Link that he had been cursed and that he needed Link to go inside of him a break the curse. Link helped the Deku Tree. When Link emerged from the Deku Tree, the tree told him the story of the Triforce. Before time existed, three golden goddesses descended on the chaos that was Hyrule. Din, the goddess of power shaped the red earth. Farore, the goddess of wisdom, gave the spirit of law to the world. Nayru, the goddess of Love created all beings that would uphold the law. When their work was finished, the three golden goddesses departed for the heavens. They left behind the Triforce which contains the power of the gods. The Triforce was placed at the point where the goddesses left the world which became known as the Sacred Realm. An evil man from the desert wished to posses the Triforce. The Deku told Link that he must never let that man touch the Triforce or enter the Sacred Realm. The Deku Tree asked Link to go to Hyrule Castle to meet the Princess of Destiny. Link agreed. The Deku Tree said "I knew I could depend upon thee Link. Thou art courageous." So with Navi at his side, Link set out for Hyrule Castle and adventures unknown.

Gameplay 10/10
I'll say this again, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the most amazing game I have ever played! This game will take the average gamer 40-45 hours to fully beat. There are eight full dungeons in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and several smaller dungeons as well. There are also small quests that you can complete to get a small prize like a piece of heart or a weapons upgrade. Don't feel like walking someplace? You can ride a horse! There are also 100 Golden Skullatas(spiders) to be found in the land of Hyrule. You can receive special prizes for destroying a certain number of Golden Skullatas. The more you destroy the better the prizes get! The land of Hyrule is a place full of rich treasures and secrets just waiting for you to discover them! There are many people to meet and monsters to fight. Some of these people will give you a present just for talking to them while others need help with something and will reward you for your assistance. Some of the monsters you will fight in this game you will be able to best easily while some will take every trick you know to defeat them. Some dungeons you will blaze right through and others will take every wit of patience and skill that you possess to beat. All of the dungeons in this game contain many puzzles that need to be solved. These puzzles will vary in difficulty. There are many weapons and items that you will find that have many different purposes. These is even magic that you can use against your enemies! Try zapping a monster with a Light Arrow and see what happens! You will also have currency in this game in the form of Rupees. There are several different colored Rupees and each color has a different value. Green = one Rupee, Blue = five Rupees, Red = twenty Rupees, Purple = fifty Rupees, Gold = two hundred Rupees. There are also silver Rupees. These have no worth but come in sets of five in various places throughout Hyrule. Collect all five and you will be able to proceed. There are also Heart Containers which is how much health you have. The more Heart Containers you have the more damage you can take. You can find eight more full containers in this game. You will receive one at the end of Boss battles. There are also 36 Pieces of Heart in Hyrule. Four Pieces of Heart = 1 Heart Container. You can get a total of 20 hearts in your Health Meter. You will also have a Magic Meter. Each magic item that you have uses a certain number of magic points depending on how powerful it is. Once your meter is empty, you cannot use magic at all. Throughout Hyrule you can find small green jugs called Magic Jugs that will refill your Magic Meter. While all of this may seem complicated now, you will catch on very fast once you start playing this amazing game.

Graphics/Sound 10/10
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is a graphical masterpiece. Everything in this game is incredibly detailed. The land of Hyrule is incredibly realistic. It does not look as though everything in this game were put together with mismatched puzzle pieces. The music is also incredible. I don't think it can ever get annoying at all. The sounds are incredibly good right down to the sound Link makes he fall from a very high place. I normally don't think that the graphics of a game are very important but I will say that one of the reasons that The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is such a great game, is because you can close your eyes and see yourself exploring the land of Hyrule. The amazing realistic graphics and sounds in this game will allow you to fully enjoy your adventures in Hyrule.

Replayability 10/10
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is so huge that I don't see how you could play it only one time. There is so much to do in this game that you will find yourself playing over and over again to find all of it's secrets. Why not try beating the game using different tactics? Set a goal that you want to achieve by the end of the game such as, kill all 100 Gold Skullatas, find all 36 Pieces of Heart, find all of the weapons upgrades, beat the horse obstacle course, get all four bottles, beat the game with only three hearts, beat the game in less than 15 hours. You will spend hours completely immersed in Hyrule and all of it's many adventures. By the time you beat this game, you will want to go back to the beginning and play it again. I am very sure that you will find a million more reasons that you will want to play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time over and over again. It is the kind of game that will never die.

Buy or Rent?
Buy. This game is way too big to rent. A skilled gamer might be able to beat it in such a short amount of time but they would not have time enough to explore Hyrule and it's people and monsters in depth. They would be so rushed that they would be unable to enjoy the game. If you are the kind of person who does not enjoy long, challenging, adventure games that have some fighting involved, than I would do neither. Otherwise I am sure that you will enjoy playing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and discovering it's many secrets.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is by far the greatest game of our day. While there will always be a few people who will disagree with this, I assure you that it is so. It lives up to and exceeds the expectations that people have of a game with the word Zelda anywhere in the title. If it is not the greatest game ever, than it is the best game for the Nintendo 64 game console. It outshines any Zelda game that has come before or since. Fans of The Legend of Zelda series will not be disapointed by The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Newcomers to the series will also enjoy it. It is the first game I ever played on my Nintendo 64 and by far the best. In conclusion, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the best game ever!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/25/05