Review by Ofisil

"What a bumer..."

Mario Kart 64 is a Racing game developed by Nintendo. Without further talking I must say that MK64 isn't a good game and if you think that I'm just a hater think again because I loved Super Mario Kart even though I'm not a racing guy.

Design: 5/10

While the graphics in Mario Kart 64 are nice I've got to say that Super Mario Kart in the SNES was way better since MK64 simple doesn't take advantage of the N64 power. The courses are fully 3D apart from the various details like trees that are actually 2D images. The backgrounds are extremely simple, just a sky and 2-3 clouds, SNES had way better backgrounds. The drivers like in SNES are 2D and I wonder why because Super Mario 64 was FULLY 3D without any problems. Generally while graphics are decent they could be a lot better.

Music: 4.5/10

Huge disappointment here… ok the sound effects are decent with more and far better sounds than the SNES game but what about the music? Well, it's not bad, but when I start a Mario themed game I don't expect music that just isn't bad, I expect something very good! Music themes in Mario Kart are boring, with anything special about them and generally don't stand out. Whether you are in the jungle course or in the Bowser's castle the feeling is the same something completely disappointing, for me at least.

Replay Value: 3/10

Mario Kart 64 not only doesn't have good gameplay, but it still has the problems of its predecessor. The courses in the game have some interesting stuff, like trains blocking your path, various critters that hit you and generally many kinds of traps, BUT while the level design is good the road itself is so damn wide that there is no actual skills needed to race, all you need is to just keep on pressing the accelerate button and try hitting your enemies with the various weapons. Your Kart is extremely easy to control and that in this case is bad compared to the SNES game where you had do be careful in order to keep our Kart steady. All the items of the first game are here along with only a handful of new ones that are fortunately good.

The only problem I've had with the first game was the awful AI design that created a very unfair competition between the first 3 drivers. This problem is present in here too, so you for example hit all your enemies with a lightning, slowing them down and making them small, you stomp on the best driver of the race and you move on ahead leaving everybody faaaaaar behind you. After a while the “tough” one returns faster than ever and almost ready to pass you by! The only good thing in the game is the split screen 4 vs. 4 game where you compete against 3 of your friends something that couldn't be done with the SNES game.

Positives:
-The 4 vs. 4 Mode

Negatives:
-Way too easy to control your Kart
-Still the AI is unfair
-Boring music

Also Play:
Crash Team Racing (Playstation)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)

Overall: 4/10 (Not an average)

Not a good game, not worthy of the Super Mario Kart, don't believe the hype, don't buy it, don't play it… don't!!!

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 06/01/09

Game Release: Mario Kart 64 (US, 02/10/97)