Review by McLovinR00Lz

"Seriously the best game I've ever played."

Mario Kart 64 is one of the best racing games made for the n64. I have extensively played it over and over and I can never get enough of it. Released in 1997, the game was one of the first made for the system that utilized its mulitplayer feature to the fullest extent. It has since lived on as a fantastic classic.

Gameplay: 10/10 - this is the main aspect of the game, as it is simply pure racing. For single player, you have the option of either grand prix or time trials. For grand prix, you choose a difficulty (50,100,150 cc) and a racer. There are 8 racers to choose from, all with their own pros and cons, none are really "the best" in the game. There are four cups to choose from that also vary in difficulty, each with 4 tracks. Once you finish racing all four tracks in a cup, a point system is used to determine everyone's place. If you place lower then 4th in any race, you cannot continue and must retry or quit. Each track in the game is littered with item boxes that you can use to affect you and other racers. Depending on where you place, you get different items. Near 1st place, you get bananas and shells that don't do much, meanwhile near 8th place you get stars and lightning bolts that significantly impact the race. CPU players are also using items too, and you must compete against them as they can get very hard to keep track of. Personally, my favorite character to use is DK, and my favorite course is Wario Stadium.

In time trials, you choose any character, any track, and race alone for the best time. once you finish racing, you have the option to save your best time to the n64 memory pak and you can race against the "ghost" of your best time. You can only have 2 ghosts at the same time. If you finish a track under a certain time, you can unlock the staff ghost and race against the best time of the developers.

Multiplayer is a blast, given you have friends available to play. With just 2 players, you can both race in grand prix; however, this is not possible with 3 or 4 players. With 2,3,or 4 players, you can do Vs. mode or battle mode. VS. mode is simply grand prix with all human players, pick a track and race! Battle mode is the most unique of all. Each player gets 3 balloons attached to their kart, and using various items, players must get rid of their opponents' balloons. Running over a banana peel and getting hit by a shell and whatnot causes you to lose a balloon. the last person remaining with balloons wins.

Story: N/A - there is no story to this game.

Graphics: 8/10 - for an early 3d Nintendo game, the graphics are impressive. All the courses are rendered in 3d, with character sprites and other details made in 2d. One thing I don't like is when some objects appear blocky at times.

Sound: 9/10 - This game boasts an incredible soundtrack. All the tracks fit perfectly with the course, my personal favorite is Rainbow Road.

Replay Value: 10/10 - Due to many experienced players discovering shortcuts and glitches, this game will never get old. Racing against the opponents on 150cc gets challenging and will keep you coming back for more. On top of that is mirror mode, where all the courses are played in reverse. This also gets challenging, especially on the course Toad's Turnpike where cars are coming head on.

Final Reccomendation? Own this game. If you still have this game and an n64, play it! It never gets old and is always exciting. If you don't have this game but happen to own a Wii, buy it on the virtual console, it would be well worth the money spent.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/16/10

Game Release: Mario Kart 64 (US, 02/10/97)