Review by Jeff Hardly

"Infogrames, your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to tarnish this franchise."

The guys at Infogrames had to be thinking that it'd be easy to put together a good spy game based on Mission:Impossible. Skim through the script, throw together a bunch of levels and mission objectives, and KA-BLAMMO! instant mega-hit classic. Unfortunately, I cannot disavow any knowledge of this company's actions in bastardizing the IMF's good name.

Well, we can't blame them for trying, can we? The characters have no semblance to the movie counterparts (and even that's not a surprise...I suppose Mr. Cruise wouldn't want a digitized version of himself being blasted to shreds...truly a pity), and all the models are bland and washed-out. On the plus side, they complement the bland and washed-out levels, which lack detail or interesting features.

Music/Sound: 6/10

Outside of the classic tune, the music is meaningless filler, and even the tune is weakly digitized. Sounds...hmm? They're just as forgettable, but nothing offensive to the senses.

Control: 4/10

As an exploratory game, the sluggish controls and weak combat system might be excusable, but there is combat involved, and that's where the game takes a swan dive. Ethan walks like he's underwater, and while the targeting system makes fighting less cumbersome, it's marred by hit-or-miss collision.

It's entertaining to the hardcore Mission:Impossible fans, but to the gamer, this game is strongly lacking. During the cumbersome fights, you'll engage in a laundry list of objectives, very few of which are interesting. Get the drink, get the poison, get the disguise, plant smoke bombs, get to the door. Are we having fun yet? There are a few interesting missions and objectives here and there, but they hardly warrant suffering through the rest of them. At least GoldenEye had interesting and meaningful objectives where you wanted to complete them, and made you explore to figure it out. In this game, the objectives are just a guide to the end of the stage, and never require a tremendous amount of thought to their completion.

Replay Value: 3/10

If you want to, you can beat the game on the Impossible difficulty (which really isn't that impossible). Then...um...well, it'd make a nice paperweight...

Buy/Rent?

Considering that the N64 is long dead, rental isn't much of an option. If you can find it dirt cheap, and are a fan of Mission:Impossible, then give it a shot. If not...well, the fun will self-destruct in five seconds.

Reviewer's Score: 4/10 | Originally Posted: 05/09/03, Updated 05/09/03