Review by YankeeJTC

"A game that proves some games aren't just games, they're experiences"

One of the two release titles on the Nintendo 64, Pilotwings is a great game. Any flight-sim fan will love this game. Pilotwings takes realism to a new level, although I don't think hard core Doom fans will enjoy it much. It's more of a mellow flying game. You can play as 3 vehicles to start off, a hang glider, a gyrocopter, and a rocket pack. As you get better, you earn more medals and they open new levels. The first one is the Birdman, which is mostly about exploring and taking pictures. It's the most calm part of the game. The second level is the cannon level, where you have to shoot your character into large targets. The third one is the Skydiving level, where you and 3 other friends jump out of a plane, and have to complete 5 formations before you fall under the clouds. Once that happens you have to aim for a target and parachute to the ground. The last, and my favorite level, is the Jumble Hopper, which has your character riding in spring shoes. The last Jumble Hopper level is a hop across the United States. Along the way you see cities, farms, waterfalls, and even the Grand Canyon. This game definetely sets new standards for flight sims, although the only downfall of this game is once you get good enough, you can beat all of the levels and courses in an hour or two. It's still a lot of fun to play, and whether you're taking pictures of a whale on a hang glider, flying through a dark cave on your rocket pack, or shooting down a giant robot in your gyrocopter, with Pilotwings you'll feel like you're in the game every step of the way. My only gripe with the game is there's not much replay value, and after Jumble Hopping a few times I got kinda bored.

Graphics: 9/10 (these graphics are spectacular)

Sound: 9/10 (The tunes are very mellow and fit well)

Control: 8/10 (Sometimes the planes can be unresponsive)

Fun Factor: 8/10 (You might find this one on your shelf for a while after a month)

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99