Review by cronoebm

"One of Nintendo's best franchises"

Graphics 9/10
The graphics in this game are great. There is great attention to every aspect of each of the Pilotwings' environments. The only reason why it lost a point is because there is some collision problems. For example, if you crash a plane into a mountain, over half your character's vehicle can be wedged into the mountain. This makes no difference in gameplay and is barely noticeable, however. When you are flying over the Little States, you notice the detail given to the buildings of major U.S. cities and farm houses in Central America. On Cresent Island, while flying over an office building by the beach, you'll notice a fountain in front of the building.

Sound 10/10
The soundtrack for this game fits perfectly with the mood of the game. If you fly around at night, you get calming music that is easy on the ears. During the day, you can get an upbeat tune. The characters' screams while crashing are pretty funny. They also have a sound bit when you choose you character at the beginning. The sound effects are clear, like the honking of car horns while flying through the streets of St. Louis, Chicago, or any other city in the game.

Control 10/10
This game has a great control scheme. There are about 7 ways to get around, and each mode of transportation has perfect control schemes. Look around with the C buttons, shoot things or take pictures with the Z button. It's all very simple and easy to get used to.

Gameplay 10/10
With 7 modes of play (Hang Glider, Rocket Belt, Gyrocopter, Jumble Hopper, Sky Diving, Cannonball, and Wingman), this game will keep you occupied for a long time. There are 4 areas of play, but each are fairly large. Certain areas of that stage may only be accessible with a certain vehicle. For example, a cave in Cresent Island is only available to Rocket Belt riders. The Hang Glider takes a while to master, but when you do, it's worth it.

Lasting Appeal 10/10
I've owned this game since it's release (1996), and I found myself playing it last weekend (7-13-02), even though I own a Gamecube and 11 games. It is that fun.

Rent or Buy?
This game is definitely a buy. Get your hands on this game, NOW. Please.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/18/02, Updated 07/18/02