Review by Andral

"The coolest game ever!"

I borrowed this game from a friend once, and beat it in 2 days. It doesn't matter though, this game still rules! The story is your basic action/adventure/rpg story. Rayman's homeplanet has been invaded by evil Robo-pirates, led by Admiral Razorbeard. They are floating around the planet in their prison ship, and are capturing Rayman's friends by the thousands. Rayman must gather up his powers to save his world. Not the most extensive or deep storyline, but who cares?

The gameplay is simply awesome. It is very simple, but it doesn't make the game any less fun. Press A to jump, A while in the air to activate your helicopter, B to fire, and hold Z to strafe. That is pretty much it. Every level involves major puzzles and problems, that you must solve before continuing. For example, in one level you must collect two colored spheres from opposite sides of a level and then bring them to a door with two colored pedestals next to it. You must then hurl the orbs onto the pedestals to open the door. Seems simple, right? Wrong. You can't jump while holding the spheres, and enemies will block your path. The game is full of challenging but fun puzzles just like this.

The sound doesn't make or break the game, but in this case, it makes it more fun. Rayman and his friends all speak in a weird blubbering language, and it is hilarious when he or anyone speaks. The music is interesting, but isn't really noticeable. Even though the sound isn't the games best quality, it is still very cool.

I wish I could give this an 11! The game looks and feels real. It is very cartoonish in the way it looks, but it still looks so real! The backgrounds are worth staring at forever. Seriously, I could spend hours just in the Hall of Doors. I have never seen this game with the Expansion Pak, but since the graphics are better with the Expansion Pak, I can't possibly imagine how cool it must look! THE reason to buy this game!

Replay: 10/10
Very good! Even after beating the game, there is still one thing left to do: collect the yellow lums. There are 1000 yellow lums to collect, and yes, they do possess a purpose. Every 50 yellow lums you collect gives you the next part of a story behind the world, which is interesting to read. You must have a certain amount of yellow lums to make it to certain levels and proceed through the game. Every so many yellow lums gives you more health. Yellow lums are well hidden in all of the levels, so collecting them is difficult, and will test your skills as Rayman.

The best platform genre game out there, in my opinion! This game is a must buy. You must have a Memory Card to save your game, but it is well worth the money. Buy at all costs!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/04/00, Updated 09/04/00