Review by striker64

"It has its ups, and it has its downs..."

Crave had decided to remake a classic game and release it on the Nintendo 64. The only difference they made was in souping up the graphics, which I think they did a good job on. However, I think they should have varied the stages a little, if at all possible. There are 200 of those bad boys, and they all look close to the same. It gets very tedious wandering around there the whole time.

Story
5/10
There isn't much of one. A little bald kid runs around blowing up monster-thingys on what suspiciously appears to be the exact same area each just with some different enemies every time. And why is he doing this? To save the last human family. The last human family either one very large family, or a family prone to getting captured easily. And quickly. Kinda like a lemming, but not really.

Gameplay
5/10
The only reason this gets a 5 is because there are a whole mess of powerups lying around, making for some cool weapons, like spray bullets and a flamethrower. Other than that, the stages are all alike.

Sounds
8/10
I like the background music a lot. I think it adds a great touch to the game. Craze did a good job tuning it up. The sounds of your gun blasting and the creatures blowing up is just damn cool to listen to.

Control
7/10
The controls are simple and easy to get used to, although I'm the type of person who likes things to get somewhat complex sometimes. That little bald kid would probably blast me right now if he could, but he can't because he's caught in another dimension or something, so he won't. I do, however, like the setup of the gun controls on the C buttons. Each direction on the C button is a direction you can fire in. Pretty nifty.

Graphics
6/10
Craze did a fairly good job of souping up the graphics from the original version. The characters still have that crappy block like texture to them, but hey, there's really not that much you can do, is there?

Replay Factor
9/10
I don't understand it. I just don't understand it. Even as much as I rant, and that I hate that there are so many levels that are so identical in nature (as far as I have seen), I just can't stop playing it. Save me! ;.;

Overall
6/10
I give it a 6. Why? Dunno. Read everything above and stuff. Rend this game if you see it for sure. I think you can actually buy a new version of this game for $15, not bad if you rent it and like it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 12/29/01, Updated 08/26/02