Review by Shadow Flare

"Still fun enough to hold up today's games! Anyone else think Peppy sounds like Jim Ross?"

After being thoroughly disappointed with the Virtual Console releases, I was finally excited to see that they had added it. Star Fox 64. One of the games I used to love playing when I was a kid. Well, not a kid, but you get the picture. I used to spend hours playing this thing, through and through. It was fun, and I looked forward to reliving those memories again on the Wii. It does still hold up today, but I gotta say I was a bit disappointed. Maybe I've just lost my touch, or what. We'll see.

Graphics Even by today's standards, these look pretty good. Sure, I know there's some people out there that'll complain, but having uber X-Box 360 graphics or not, does NOT make a game. I'm not here to bash the graphics for being N64-era, either. The graphics in this are easy enough to distinguish everything. You can usually tell what's an enemy and what's not. You can usually tell what's the sky and what's the water, too. I've heard but not actually seen myself about some emulation problems on the VC, some levels or colors are a bit off, but like I said, it's nothing I've seen myself. To me, the graphics look exactly the same as they did. Which it's supposed to; the Virtual Console does not overhaul or upgrade games, it just lets us play them again.

Gameplay Ahh, the fun part. Let's see, you fly around alongside a team and blow things up. In a few different vehicles. What's not to like? There are a few attack options, and you get bombs too. In "All-Range Mode", you can actually control your Arwing and maneuver all over the battlefield, even doing things like flips and U-turns to get back into the combat, or avoid enemy hits. Not to mention the fact that you can take different paths to the end and explore different levels. Oh, and there's a multiplayer mode too where you can trash your friends. As fun as this gets though, sometimes the game can be a bit annoying. From what I've seen, your teammates seem to need your help a little TOO much, and if you don't save them in time, you can really get the shaft in some later levels. As a matter of fact, I don't even recall your teammates being that bad on the N64 version. I don't recall the game being this hard at all. Maybe they screwed up in the emulation or when they were porting it? Or maybe I'm just getting worse at old games. Still, very fun game. If you have patience enough to not chuck your controller at a wall (which, sometimes I don't), you'll practice and get good enough in no time.

Sound I really don't have much to say here. Seems the same as the N64. Nothing that I'd really give a platinum album to, but the music in this game is okay. Nothing really seems out of place, and the explosion sounds are actually pretty cool. Some of the voice acting sucks, but hey, what're you going to do? Some of it's classic too. Who doesn't love Peppy telling them to do a Barrel Roll? I actually think he sounds kinda like Jim Ross. Great, now I'm gonna be expecting him to tell King to use the brake or try a somersault on RAW next week..

Replay value Hey, I'm playing it again. Like I said, it gets a little annoying at times, but when a game is this good you really can't help it. Plus, you know, there's the fact that the game has many different paths to the end you can take, so you might wanna just replay the game a few times to see all of the levels. And then there's the unlockables and Expert Mode, so I'd say this has okay replay value.

So, I'd say if you're looking for something to spend your Wii points on, get this. It's fun, and if you're good, it's nothing that'll make you drive your fist into a wall. I'd definitely say that this stacks up there in my top three Virtual Console games. I think it should stack up in anybody's list, really.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 04/04/07