Review by _Spin_Cycle_

"Don't ever give up, my son."

Starfox 64 has to be one of my top 10 favorite games of all time.

Okay...so I am a tad biased. I played this game intensely in my youth, acquiring every medal, and accomplishing every mission hundreds of times...HUNDREDS of times.

However, biased or not, Starfox 64, exactly 10 years after release, is still a game that is worth playing. If you haven't played it, you owe it to yourself and your gaming community to do so. After all, there are only so many games that are considered "classics," and this just so happens to be one of them.

GRAPHICS: 10/10
The graphics may not look like much now, but at the time, this was a revolutionary upgrade from the original Starfox. Since Starfox 64 was a remake of the SNES original, a more advanced and technologically-upped feel was necessary. Starfox 64 achieved this in every way. In-game effects are brilliant, such as bombs and lasers, and the warp stages still bring chills down my spine at their creepiness.

SOUND: 10/10
The upgraded sound effects of the game are just as revolutionary as the graphical effects. Some notable sound effects include bombs exploding, lasers shooting, boss explosions, message transmissions from Peppy, Slippy, or Falco, and, of course, the voice acting. I'll often find myself saying the lines along with the characters in-game. Eventually, you'll learn to memorize where the lines come in based on how they fit with the background music, and...well...it's nostalgia at its finest.

MUSIC COMPOSITION: 10/10
Being a professional musician, music is especially important to me when looking for an enjoyable game. There are only three games in my entire life that have soundtracks that I will remember for being the best soundtracks I've ever heard: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario World, and, of course, Starfox 64. All are Koji Kondo compositions, but Starfox 64's score was a combined effort. What resulted from the chemistry between the two composers of Starfox 64 was one of the most nostalgic musical soundtracks in existence. From the opening theme to the ending theme, the emotional impact of the music is not only a step up from its SNES counterpart, but is also some of Kondo's best work.

STORYLINE: 10/10
The storyline of Starfox 64 consists two main parts: a mad scientist and his henchmen bent on galactic domination, and the noble pilots who are bound to defend the before-mentioned galaxy. Through each mission, you will travel from system to system, planet to planet, sector to sector fighting your way through the evil weapons of Andross, the mad scientist mentioned earlier. You'll encounter old friends, new enemies, and a hell of a good time along the way.

GAMEPLAY: 10/10
In Starfox 64, you play the role of Starfox, the leader of a solo mercenary group of the same name. You control Fox's ship, leading him in and out of obstacles and risky situations, battling enemies and obtaining collectables. You will fight a boss at the end of each stage. There are numerous secrets and goodies along the way as well. You'll run into friends and foes alike in your journey to destroy Andross. The gameplay is pretty typical, but remarkably crafted.

FINAL WORD: 10/10
A simple 10/10 rating doesn't cut it for me. Games like this and Super Mario World deserve higher. Again, I might just be biased. However, I'm sure that many can attest to this situation and will defend Starfox 64 as one of the greatest games ever made.

With the re-release of this beautiful game on the Wii's Virtual Console comes a slew of fans who have all but put the memory of Starfox 64 away. Ten years after the fact, it remains a landmark in gaming, and a definitive example of the Nintendo 64's success.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/05/07