Review by xcamel24

"Porting the Classics: Star Fox 64 style"

Star Fox 64 was one of my personal favorites on N64, whether it was about me re-challenging myself to get a higher score, or trying to get all the medals, or trying to unlock Fox on foot for multiplayer, I loved it. So how does it hold up today?

I really can't complain here. The Concept is big bad Andross is trying to rule the galaxy, and you and your team gotta fly through a series of planetary systems to reach Andross' home planet and beat him. Of course, you'll have help on the way, like pals on your team, or random encounters with allies that are only temporary. There are two styles of fighting, one is an on rails shooter that is pretty much straight forward with the exception of a few levels. The other is "all range mode" where you stop proceeding forward and occupy an area and have to complete certain objectives or defeat bosses. But basically, all you have to do is blast everything, and its a heck of a lot of fun doing so. You also get powerups for your blasters like many other shooter games.

They could've used some work on the N64, the graphics aren't bad but they aren't great either. They are just average, even given the time and release of this game originally, they still could've been more impressive.

It has its good points, but most of the time, the story isn't so good and is cheesy. Don't play this game expecting a novel, or even expecting a children's chapter book story, you won't get it.

Music/Sound: 9/10

While not perfect, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sound and music from this game. I don't know why it is criticized, it is a great sound track which was worked on by Koji Kondo himself, so I am really at a loss to see what people's problem with sound and music is. This game has stellar voice acting (even in today's standards) and the sounds are of high quality as is the music. The only grief I have with the music is some of the themes that are used more than once, but for the most part they are good.

Replay: 8/10

If you finish this game, you can go back and try beating each level for yourself, and then after that, you can try and get a medal on each level. Getting a medal on every single level will unlock a harder difficulty, and then you can try getting all the medals again on that mode. Also, this game boasts 4 player multiplayer, dogfighting on 2 different levels with 2 (well 3 really) vehicles. This might not keep you occupied for long but it is a nice diversion from the game.

Controls/Difficulty: 10/10 (with a gamecube controller)

Playing this game with the Classic Controller might be a tad troublesome. The Gamecube controller works perfectly though, just get used to the button maps and when your see a yellow arrow pointing -> then press the Z button. Otherwise controls are great, your ship moves fluently and and the advanced controls are easy to get a hold of. Also, the difficulty may not be terribly challenging for clearing the game, but getting all medals on expert mode is a challenge for most any gamer.

Overall Score: 8/10 (rounded up average)

Its not for everyone, but it is a great game that should at least be given a few tries before throwing it out. If you're worried about wasting your Wii points on it- try it out on an original N64, or on your friend's Wii/N64.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 04/12/07