Review by rdccdr801

"It's 2011, and many of us are still nostalgic about this game. Was it actually good?"

I remember renting this game as a 8 or 9 year old, and really enjoying it. For years, I didn't really think about it much, unless I went over to my cousin's house, since he had a copy of it. 10 years later, I went away to a university and stayed at a dorm. Well, it didn't go so well, and I ended up leaving. The silver lining? I accidentally took my roommate's copy of Starfox 64. And he apparently doesn't care, because he hasn't bothered to ask for it back yet. I played the game again, and I decided that I should give it a review.

Graphics: Obviously, it wouldn't be right to compare the visuals to next game visuals. For their time, the graphics design and execution are more than capable. The environments are colorful and engaging, and you never have problems making out objects. Even the draw distance is pretty acceptable, though the game's pace suffers as a consequence. The graphics also get a bit blurry during multiplayer. Even so, they're well done, especially for a game that's turning 15 soon. 7/10

Sound: Starfox will forever be remember for its voice acting. Voice acting was really uncommon in gaming during that time period, so including it was a really nice gesture. Unfortunately, it's some of the worst voice acting ever. Peppy... I won't go there, we've all heard the joke 1000 times. Slippy... people still question if Slippy is a boy or a girl. Falco has this pseudo Top Gun attitude, without the innuendo. The villains are even more ridiculous.. most of them have poorly written dialog. "I am going to crush you!", says the first boss, who is a complete pushover and doesn't even look intimidating. The music is pretty bland, I can't even remember anything besides the jingle on the title track. 2/10

Gameplay: It's a shooter on rails with Arwings... which is the Starfox formula. You get a little more freedom that in some rail games. You can do many evasive maneuvers with your Arwing, and you usually have pretty good control over what's going on. One positive is, you can pick different routes to the last level, if you know a few secrets. That encourages multiple playthroughs, which is always a plus. However, the game suffers from being too easy. You can lock onto multiple enemies at once, and you possess a charge up shot that's pretty overpowered. You could try taking more difficult routes to the final boss, but it doesn't make the game that much more difficult. No matter how you slice it, you'll be able to beat Starfox in one sitting. If only Nintendo would revisit the Starfox 64 concept... except that you fly for hours on each planet. The only difficult sequences are with the tank, and that's because the Landmaster has abysmal controls. The multi is pretty fun, but it often turns into people spamming 180 degree turns at the edge of the course. 7/10

Story: You're Star Fox, you need to stop Andross, avenge your father, etc. Not well developed, but it's very forgivable. 6/10

Controls: The controls are intuitive, and work well. You'll have to remember a few button combinations, but there's nothing too difficult to figure out here. I give Nintendo some credit for keeping it simple, it tends to work well in video games. 7/10

The game doesn't hold up to the test as time as well as some other Nintendo titles. But you could do way worse. I'm really glad that I have a copy of the game still. I definitely want to pop it in, just to laugh at the dialog, and feel confident after beating the game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/12/11

Game Release: Star Fox 64 (US, 07/01/97)