Review by Blackjack4x

"Not as good as everybody believes it is..........."

Many people will hate me for saying it, but StarFox 64 is not as good a game as most people think. However, that will be elaborated on later in the review. First, the premise: you are once again Fox McCloud, and you're once again the main pilot trying to save the galaxy. You are joined by teammates Falco, Flippy and Peppy, who assist you in each level but who need your protection themselves. There are different paths to choose in the game, and each one leads to a final battle with Andross. Your weapons include your regular guns, a limited number of bombs and several special items. Your ship can perform several maneuvers such as U Turns and barrel rolls, and you would be wise to learn them. Each of the game's huge bosses has a weak point, and it flashes constantly so you'll know what it is. This is a one player game in the regular mode, and up to four players can compete in the multiplayer mode.

Well done. Bright and sharp. The bosses are very large, and move realistically. What you would expect from a Nintendo 64 game.

Lots of voice and great music. Some of the best the N64 has to offer. The music is varied and the sound effects are well done.

I still don't like those "invisible walls" on each side of the screen that prevent you from moving too far to either side. The problem I have with this game is that the whole thing is too linear; in each level your ship is led on a tight path that you have no choice but to follow. On top of that, the game isn't very long anyway. Most players can finish it on the easiest mode in a day. To its credit, the game does have some interesting levels. The control is well done and the variety of moves available to you is good as well. The idea of protecting and being protected by your partners is a good concept.

Replay: 7/10

The game has several paths to choose, and there are challenges in each level for you to beat, such as finishing it in a certain period of time or killing a certain number of enemies. The multiplayer mode also adds life.

Being too limited in its design brings this game down. I was hoping, after playing the original StarFox, that more freedom would be allowed in this game. Unfortunately I was wrong. Having said that, if you liked StarFox for SNES than you'll like this too. The graphics and sound are also top notch, so maybe this game is worth a look. I recommend a rental, but I don't recommend you buy it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 09/29/01