Review by Sleddog116

"Don't waste your time reading this review, go out and buy the game."

If you DO need to read, here it is:

Storyline – 10/10
The storyline on this game totally kicks butt. It IS kind of like Star Wars, but much cooler than the Star Wars video games and it totally blew away the SNES StarFox, but I would definitely recommend both StarFox games to anybody who asked me. This game has very few flaws, and they mostly lie in the technical area of the game, which we’ll get to in a minute. The characters in this game interact a whole lot more and they don’t have the stupid constipated babble voices. Now, instead of having three useless teammates, you only have one; the other two actually help. The villain is even more sinister this time. You can actually defeat him two ways to get a really sweet ending sequence that rocks. I won’t give anything away; you’ll have to find out for yourself. Starfox64 also has a ton of new characters.

Gameplay - 10/10
This gameplay is MUCH better than the StarFox for SNES. In this game, you don’t have to choose one course and stay on it until the final level. You have more freedom, but you may also need skill to change your course; if you meet a certain set of requirements, you can go on to a different level than you would normally. For example, (this example came from the Instruction Manual) if you just play the Corneria level normally and fight the robot boss, you will get a screen that says ‘MISSION COMPLETE’, and go on to the Meteo level. However, if you protect Falco and fly through the seven stone arches, you will fight the boss from the ORIGINAL Corneria level and your screen will say ‘MISSION ACCOMPLISHED’ and you can go on to Sector Y instead of Meteo. The controls are very good, but I personally think that they should have made the Z trigger the button that fires the laser instead of the A button, but some others would think differently, so it doesn’t affect the rating. Other than that, there’s nothing wrong with the controls. The camera angles are really good, too.

Graphics – 9/10
I had to give the graphics a 9 because of one flaw. If I could do a decimal comparison, it would be a 9.9 and not a 9. That is that the character voices are not quite synchronized correctly with the graphics, but I think we all agree that it is MUCH better than StarFox SNES. The Arwings look SOOOO much cooler, because they’re not so polygonal, and, as mentioned, the camera angles are really good. The explosions are really neat, too. Shigeru Miyamoto really hit the jackpot this time.

Sound – 9/10
The sound had only a few flaws. One was mentioned above; how it isn’t timed exactly right, but to forgive is divine. If you have a mono TV, the sound effects will fade out if you go too far off to the side. The background music is really good, but we’re all pretty sad that they didn’t leave the original StarFox music in.

Difficulty – 7/10
Ahh, the single weak point of the game unless you like super easy games. This game was WAY too easy. It is really difficult to get EVERYTHING in the game, but if you’re just trying to beat the game, it won’t take you more than 3 tries, if that.

To Buy or to Rent?

Buy. The replay value that you get from this game will outweigh the cost by a hundred times. Besides, the game is so old now that you can probably get it cheap at Wally World or a flea market. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Overall, I give this game a perfect 10 because it is one of the best Nintendo games I have ever played. The graphics were awesome, the characters were no less than stellar, and of course, it was a game by S. Miyamoto, so you can expect it to be one of the all-time best games ever. Go out and buy it before it breathes its last…

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 09/29/02, Updated 09/29/02