Review by FishTaco64

"Not the Best Game Ever, But OK"

Star Fox 64 is a very good game. There were however, many flaws. I had a lot of fun playing this game the first few times that I played it but it got boring rather fast. It was simply too short. It was also a very confining game. There are many things that you can do to make this game more interesting but they can only do so much. In my opinion, Star Fox 64 did not live up to it's name. There are certain parts of Star Fox 64 that I really enjoyed playing but not enough of them. It is a good game for new gamers but fans of the original Star Fox and veteran gamers will be very disappointed.

Storyline 8/10
The storyline of Star Fox 64 was the best part of the whole game! It all started when the evil Andross invaded the Lylatt Solar System in an attempt to become ruler over everything. Andross's plans fell through when General Pepper of the Cornarian Army exiled him to the remote planet of Venom. For a few short years, the Lylatt system was peaceful. But then, General Pepper noticed strange activity coming from Venom. He sent the Star Fox team to Venom to see what was going on. But the team member Pigma betrayed his comrades and they were captured. Team leader James McCloud was killed and Peppy Hare barely escaped Venom to tell James's son Fox about what had happened. Once again, Andross has invaded the Lylatt system. It is up to the new Star Fox team, led by Fox McCloud to defeat Andross and his army. Good luck!

Gameplay 5/10
This game had one HUGE flaw. It was TOO confining! You do not get a chance to explore off the beaten path. There was really no challenge to it. Another flaw is that your wingmen are USELESS! Do not count on getting too much help from them throughout the game. Not that you will need much help to beat the game. The enemies are pathetically easy. There are one or two bosses that may give you difficulty but for the most part you will just breeze through this game. Even when you unlock Expert Mode you shouldn't have to much difficulty with this game.
Star Fox 64 may have many faults but it is also a very good game that can be very fun for awhile. The Arwing that you fly has a lot of cool features like boost, brake, Hyper Laser, and Smart Bomb. You will also get the chance to command a tank and a submarine. You will meet some interesting characters on the way. There are several different paths that you can take through the Lylatt System. Star Fox 64 is a good game but it has too many faults to be one of the all time greats.

Graphics/Sound 9/10
This is where I was very impressed by Star Fox 64. For a game from 1997, the graphics and sound are absolutely amazing. The planets are amazingly realistic and the characters actually talk! I was also impressed by how detailed most of the levels and their bosses are. I will admit that the voices of your wingmen asking for help every five seconds can get VERY annoying but you get used to it. Everything has a very technological, spacey look to it. If you like games that have to do with outer space, you will love the feeling that you get from Star Fox 64.

Replayability 3/10
This is where I was really let down by Star Fox 64. It will grow monotonous after you have beaten it two or three times. I will only play this game a few times a year because of this. Any more than this and I will get bored beyond belief with this game. The Vs mode can be very fun to play with your friends to see which one of you is the better Arwing pilot. Expert mode can make the game a little bit more interesting but, it will get old pretty fast after you have beaten it a couple of times. Star Fox 64 is NOT a game that can be played over and over again. There are almost no secrets to be found in this game. It is simply to confining to be fun more than once or twice.

Buy or Rent?
I would rent this game before I would buy it. Play it a few times and see if you can stand to play it more than a couple of times a year. See if you have a friend who never plays it anymore! That is how I got it for free! If you are the kind of person who needs a big adventure that will take hours to beat, than do not bother playing this game at all. If you are the kind of person who can play the same exact thing over and over again, than by all means go out and buy it.

I was vey disappointed by Star Fox 64. I would have expected a game with the name Star Fox to be much better than this. It had moments when it was very good but for the most part, it was a pretty boring game. I was kind of hoping there would be at least one mission on foot. While you can be on foot in Vs. mode, it is just not the same. Star Fox 64 is a good game with a lot of fault.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 05/25/05