Review by DarkMark42

"One of the best 3-D platformers ever"

Super Mario 64 is one of the most revilutionary games ever created. It was the first 3-D platformer. It was the launch title for the Nintendo 64 back in 1996. It introduced so many things. It has a couple of flaws, but a lot of games do.

Story

The game uses the basic storyline. Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach(the first game in which we called her by her first name), and Mario must rescue her. How exciting. Well, there's a little plot twist. She invited him to the castle to eat a cake that she backed for him, and when he arrives, she's gone.

7/10

Graphics

The graphics, as an early Nintendo 64 game, are good, but the polygons are downright terrible. Seriously, they look terribly arranged. I know this is a common problem in most Nintendo 64 games, but to this extent? Nintendo could've done a lot better job at the polygon arrangement, but other than that, they're good. The colors look nice, as does the scenery. It was the first time we've seen the Mushroom Kingdom in 3-D.

Music/Sound Effects

The music/sound effects are good. The stage music is nice. Mario talks a lot in his Italian accent. The sound effects are good too. Not as good as the classic games, but no complaints all around.

Gameplay

Ah, now we get to the game play. There's so many things you can do. You need to find the 120 Power Stars in the Castle, but you only need 80 to beat Bowser, who's pretty easy. The game's not difficult, but let me tell you it's flaws.

1) The camera system is the absolute worst in any game that I've ever played. It's been praised, as it's the first camera system ever, but it's complete trash. It never stays with you. You change it with the C buttons, but it just doesn't work. It could go too far; too back, it just is a terrible camera system. I've died many times because of it, and the next flaw...

2) The controls- they are probably the worst in any game I've ever played as well. It was the first 3-D platformer, but they really screwed up. Mario is so hard to control and move around. He never jumps when you want him to. His punched are hard to master. All his different moves are a chore to use, and when you add it's horrendous camera, it makes it so frustrating.

Other than those two flaws, the game is very fun. You can get Power Stars by racing, getting to high mountains, and a bunch of other fun stuff. Mario has three caps- the Wing, Metal, and Vanish. The Wing lets you fly, Metal, walk through things, and Vanish, allow him to be invisible.

Because of the flaws, I'm going to have to give the game play a 9/10. Usually, my final score is the game play's score, but that's not the case in this.

Replay Value

The game is starting to show it's age, but with 120 Power Stars, and a "special secret on top of the roof", and 4 files, the replay value is good.

8/10

Fun Factor

Despite the two bad flaws, the game is very fun to play, and is the main reason why I'm giving it a 10/10. The varied levels are so much fun to play.

9/10

Overall

This is one of the best 3-D platformers ever created. It gets a 10/10 despite it's flaws. One of the best games ever, and one worth owning.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/26/08

Game Release: Super Mario 64 (US, 09/26/96)