Review by Dustof_DryBones

"The follower to Super Mario Bros. 3 is a success!"

The classic game that is Super Mario 64, will have you enjoying almost every aspect a game can cover. The Virtual Console version is the exact same version as the Nintendo 64. So in theory, I'll have to grade this as if it was for the Nintendo 64 and not the Wii.

The story is pretty straight-forward, the princess gets kidnapped and Mario must collect Power Stars in order to save her. With the lack of action the story offers you could easily compare this to the story of Super Mario Bros. 3 and find it quite simular. With the addition of 3-D graphics and voice acting this game's story deserves a strong 7 out of 10... for it's time, anyway.

The Gamplay might be the most enjoyable factor of the game. During the game you will unlock several power-ups that can make you fly, turn you into metal and make you invisible. Flying around the levels is actually a really enjoyable experiance and this definately boosted the grade for this section. The game also features cannons in which mario can use to shoot himself out of, to reach unaccessable areas of the level. This showing that you can do almost anything in this game. Nostalgia also plays a factor in this section and since this is the Virtual Console version, no doubt will there be a lot of it. Wether it's swinging Bowser around via his tail or climbing-up the dangerous path of Tick-Tock Clock. You will no doubt have an amazing experiance with the game. However, something that slightly affects this section is the camera control. The fact that at some certain places the camera can go from good... to bad... to horrible (mostly the cage in the town of Wet-Dry World.) This being said, you still have a nice assortmant of camera angles to juggle this out. The overall gameplay deserves a 9 out of 10.

Controls: 8/10

The controls are easy to adapt to, A button to jump, B button to punch/kick and talk/read. There are also some more advanced moves like backflips, triple jumps and long jumps that are completely optional and can only add to the fun aspect towards Casual and more Hardcore players. A slight flaw in here is the constant sliding in some uphill areas of a level. While this can be juggled with crawling, it can still get frustrating in some certain areas like the roof of Big Boo's Haunt. Another slight flaw is talking to characters of the worlds (like the Bob-omb Buddy from Bob-omb Battlefield.) In order to talk to them, you need to fully stop, wait for them to face Mario directly and afterwards, press the B button. In other games like Super Mario Sunshine, you can simply press the B button at any given time, if you're near them. Which I find to be much simpler then it is in this game. Overall, the controls get a 8/10.

Sound/Music/Voice: 10/10

The sound-effects are great, there's no sound that's realy annoying and they all represent what they should sound like... no flaw here. The music is Fantastic, a very nice tone, perfect instrumental pitches and they all match there corresponding scenes (you won't find a romantic tune at the end boss.)... no flaws here. The voices were optiional and only boosted the grade, even if at some points they were speaking a little bit too fast... it's nearly flawless. This section pretty much gets 10/10.

Difficulty: 8/10

The game is moderately hard, in the most cases. There some annoyances, challenges that will have you replay the missions over and over again. There are also quite a few gaps, which means, one miss-step and you have to start all over again. However, this difficulty only makes its appearance in the latter levels like Tiny-Huge Island, Tick-Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride. To balance-it out, however, there are some very enjoyable missions that are also quite easy to complete (highlighting Bob-omb Battlefield, Whomp's Fortress and Jolly Roger Bay.) Overall, the game has its momments while keeping-it balanced through being easy, on the first levels and getting harder on the latter levels.

Replay-value: 10/10

The replay-value is insane, I haven't even finished my first file and I'm already starting my second one. It's simply great, the nostalgia might be the reasoning behind this, but it's mostly because the game is excellent and I could hardly make it better (Super Mario 64 DS didn't do so much to it either.) Rexploring the levels or just scrolling around is what I mostly do, in some case, such as Lethal Lava Land and my all time favorite; Tick-Tock Clock.

Fantastic, excllence to it's best. Buy this game with your Wii Points for sure. If it's not the first one you get, let it be the second or third one. I think that judging by my review, you should be extreemely pleased with this game so don't hesitate with buying-it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 08/28/08

Game Release: Super Mario 64 (US, 11/19/06)

Would you recommend this Review? Yes No
Add Comment No Comment
Comments are sent anonymously - 140 character max.