Review by Asegbers

"Great Game to start the 3D age."

My name is Asegbers and this is my first review. First I'd like to announce after all these years I finally beat this game. I'm so proud of myself. I almost gave up because there are some parts in the game where it's so hard you nearly give up. It's awesome though. Anyway here's why I gave this game a 9 / 10.

Game play: This game has some great new advances from its side scrolling partners. You can do a single, double, and triple jump. There's also a long jump which I always use. There's even the famous bouncing off the wall! That is my favorite, and it adds a lot to the game making it more enjoyable and more interesting to see what you can do and find. Next there's the new punch, double punch, and jump kick. That's right jump kick. To add on there is the tackle where you run, jump, and tackle. There are some stages where you swim and it's pretty smooth, but sometimes there's too much swimming envolved. That's minor though. Nintendo was smart with this game.

Story: Don't play this game and expect an awesome, epic story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. It's basic Mario stuff which is still used today. This consists of Princess Peach is once again kidnapped by Bowser, and you must save her. The game is so fun though, that you'll completely forget about the simple yet classic story.

Controls: Well the N64 controller isn't the best, yet this game has good controls. You move the camera with the C-buttons. You move around with the joystick, (obviously,) jump with A, punch with B. Etc. Anyways the controls are very good and tight. In other words responsive.

Graphics: The fact that this game was the first 3D game it of course has to have great graphics which it does, but it does have a terrible frame rate. Who cares though.

Last: Secret stars do take awhile, but they're fun to find. Later stars are very challenging, and could take you awhile to get. Overall you won't want to put this game down. It's a bunch of fun and it gives you a sense of accomplishment once you beat it. You must be patient though for this game has its annoying moment when you're so close to a star and you die. Worth al least one play and beat.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/22/10

Game Release: Super Mario 64 (US, 09/26/96)