Review by Psycho Penguin

"Finally Tony Hawk has come back to the Nintendo 64!"

''It's about time''. My friend's quote pretty much sums up Tony Hawk's Pro Skater finally coming to the Nintendo 64. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater is one of the best, and most popular, games ever made for the Sony Playstation so it only made sense for Activsion to port it for the Nintendo 64 (and soon Dreamcast). I expected a lot from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater for Nintendo 64, but I also knew that it would be worse in certain areas. For instance, I expected more stages, better graphics, and better charcater designs. But I also knew that the Nintendo 64 controller would not help the control in this kind of game, with its complex moves you have to do, like ollies and 360s. So when March 15th came around I made sure to go over to my Blockbuster and go rent this game. And after playing the game for the last 5 days, I will tell you this: its exactly what I expected. The game features better graphics but worse play control. Regardless, its great, and its about time the Nintendo 64 got a skateboarding game.

Graphics (9.4/10): As good as the graphics were in the Sony Playstation version, they're even better in the Nintendo 64 version! The charcater models are great and improved, and the overall scenery is quite good. The frame rate is quite good and the game suffers from little pop up. There is lots of frames of animation as well so there's little noticable graphical breakup. Great graphics!

Music/Sound (7.4/10): The music is actually very good considering it is coming from the Nintendo 64. It features real music by real artists, which is great! The sound effects are also above average. Condidering the Nintendo 64 isn't known for music, the music and sound effect is great.

Gameplay/Control (8.9/10): There's some new stages added but it's mostly like the Playstation version. But considering how good the Playstation version was, this really is no big deal. The controls are worse, and some of the moves are hard to pull off, but that's because of the Nintendo 64 controller. This game just seems better suited for the Playstation. Regardless, the game's every bit as good as it was on Playstation.

Replay Value: Medium
Challenge: Medium

Overall (9.1/10): Exactly what I expected.... great graphics but bad controls.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/20/00, Updated 07/16/01