Review by Psycho Penguin

"A decent baseball game"

Well, there have been a lot of baseball games released over the years. Some have been good, and some have been bad. I have never really been a huge fan of baseball games, but if the baseball game is good than I'll give it its props. So I decided to rent out Triple play 2000 one day, just to see how good the game really was. Well, let me tell you: I enjoyed it, but I enjoyed All Star Baseball 2000 a lot more. The main problem with Triple Play 2000 is that the fielding mechanics are pretty bad. It is very easy to misjudge even the simplest of pop flies, and this gets on your nerves when you're misjudgind simple pop flies a lot. At least the batting system is pretty good. Overall, Triple Play 2000 is a good baseball game, and a good rental for baseball fanatics, but I still prefer All Star Baseball 2000. Anyways, on with the review!

Graphics (8.9/10)
Triple Play 2000 has very nice graphics. The player models are very well done, and the designs of the stadium models are great. The game looks like you're really at a baseball game, batting. That's how good it looks. There are minor graphical glitches (I actually saw one of the computer opponents go through a wall to catch a ball, believe it or not) but they don't detract from the graphics in the game too much. The scoreboard and menu designs look great as well. Baseball graphics have really come a long way. Overall the game doesn't look as good as All Star Baseball 2000 but the graphics are pretty good.

Music/Sound (7.4/10)
The music and sound effects in Triple Play 2000 are pretty darn good, especially for a Nintendo 64 game. Sure, the Playstation version sounds better, but the Nintendo 64 version features some pretty good commentary and sound effects (although some of the phrases are a little weird sounding). Sound effect wise, Triple Play 2000 has all the sound effects you've come to expect from a baseball game. The music featured in the game is great, and even has the classic ''Take Me Out to the Ballgame'' song that we've all come to know and love. Overall, the music and sound effects in Triple Play 2000 for Nintendo 64 are good, although not as good as the Playstation version.

Gameplay/Control (7.2/10)
Well, Triple Play 2000 is a baseball game. That pretty much describes the basic gameplay. Triple Play 2000 features an innovative batting system which I happen to like a lot, mainly because it is very easy to bat. It is also easy to aim your pitches. The big problem is fielding. The fielding mechanics are usually pretty bad in baseball games, and this is no exception. I really had a hard time fielding in the game due to the Nintendo 64 controller. At least it is easy to throw it from base to base (the four yellow c buttons stand for the basic four bases) Overall, good solid gameplay and control.

Replay Value: Medium
Challenge: High

Overall (7.2/10): Good rental for the hardcore baseball fan.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 04/15/00, Updated 07/16/01