Review by rolltide19921

"A descent Game"

Introduction
This game was one of the best for its time. The atmosphere and gameplay are great. Then they followed it up with Turok 2, but killed what could have been a great series with Turok 3.

Gameplay 7/10
The gameplay is good. It is a little too easy some times, because you can easily walk around slashing your knife, and you don't even have to aim. They fix this problem by making the enemies a lot tougher as you progress through the game. The bosses are one of the strong points as they are very tough, and take a few tries to defeat. The end boss is awesome. Like I said the game has great atmosphere and a primitive feel to it. You can kill animals to get some health. Like turok two you have to collect keys in each level to open up portals to new levels accessed from the hub. There are eight levels in all. Like the other turoks, you have a good and varied set of weapons to choose from. I can't stand the controls. You use the c buttons to move around and the analog stick to look.

Story 10/10
I don't know if there even is a story, but more or less this is what happened:
You're playing as Tal Set, who is trying to stop the Campaigner from assembling the chronosepter pieces, and taking over the universe. There is no story telling during the game. The only words you'll here is "I am Turok!"

Graphics 8/10
The graphics are pretty good. The enemies look detailed and the blood looks realistic. There is no gore in this game unlike the other Turoks. The good environments are hard to see because of the terrible draw distance. To fix this, they put a ton of fog everywhere you go. The dinosaurs look realistic.

Sound 10/10
I don't know why, but I love the music for this game. It consists of a few drums beating together native American style. Like I said no one talks so you don't need to worry about bad voice acting.

Replay Value 4/10
There is nothing to do after you've beaten the game except beating it again

Rent or Buy?
You might want to rent this one first and try it out. The controls are very hard to get used to.

Overall 7/10
This game isn't great and it isn't terrible either. The controls are hard to get used to, but the gameplay is pretty good.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/31/06