Review by Xi

"A breakthrough for first persons shooters when it came out"

This game at a first glance seems to play well and looks nice, but I do find faults in it. It is still a great game, though and I would still play it.

The levels are long and it is all in the jungle sort of, giving it a feeling of mystery. Still there are little things that make this game go wrong. For one thing, you cannot collect the weapons from people that you kill. This is very annoying because after you have been shot with whatever they were using, you would like to have it as well, but after you kill them, then you find out that you cannot take their weapons. Also the guns are lacking a little bit. There are only a couple automatic weapons and a lot of the made up hi tech weapons seems somewhat lame.

The play control is different for Turok then it is for other first person shoots. In this game you use the stick to control where you look and the C Buttons to move around. It is different, but I don't find it hard to use.

Also another problem in this game is all of the jumping you have to do. It gets very hard to make all of the leaps and when you fall you usually have to start all over. You really have to learn how to jump in the beginning of the game or it gets a lot harder as you go on.

Visual: 7/10
This game is fairly good visually. You can see the enemies and tell what things are. The graphics are not bad at all and are good for the time that it came out. There is fog everywhere to hide things and it gives kind of a scary look.

Audio: 6/10
The music gets boring and monotonous after awhile. Other then the music, the sound effects are good. You can hear the guys yelling when they die and the sound of the guns firing seems accurate.

The control is different from other first person shooters in this game. The main problem I have is the weapons and all of the jumping that you have to. The jumping gets hard and when you fall you often die and have to start back at the beginning. The lack of automatic weapons and I feel that a lot of the hi tech weapons that they created seem lame are the main problems I have with the weapons. Also it is annoying that you cannot take other people's weapons when they die.

Replay: 5/10
This game gets boring quickly. It is a lot the same things over and over again. It is great at first, but after awhile it just begins to get boring.

OVERALL: 5/10
(Based mostly on gameplay and replay)
Overall Turok is great at first, especially visually and audibly, but after awhile there are other elements that make the overall experience of the game lack. I would suggest at least getting to try out this game before buying it, or trying out one of the sequels, since they seem somewhat better.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 11/05/01, Updated 12/21/01