Review by dGalloway

"Good for a while...but not a LONG while..."

The N64 and Acclaim were in the same spot in 1996; they were in desperate need of a major hit. The N64 had massive success with Super Mario 64, but it needed a more adult game to attract older gamers. Acclaim was on the very edge of bankruptcy, and had to get funds FAST. So they revived an OLD comic book series and made Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. The game was incredibly hyped before being released, and needless to say, it didn't live up AT ALL.

Graphics: The big problem with the graphics is EVERY AREA LOOKS THE SAME! One level, you'll be wandering in a jungle. Next level, you're in a slightly different jungle. I never knew so many places had jungles. Not that anything else is much to look at; enemies are a bit drab, and most weapons are pretty generic-looking. I will admit, though; the game gets two points for how cool the Fusion Cannon looks. (3/10)

Music: Terrible. It's almost the exact same tune over and over again. I guess Acclaim decided to use the ''recycle everything because gamers are dumb'' theory. It didn't work...wait, this game was a hit. I guess we are dumb. (1/10)

Sound: The sound is pretty good. The weapons make cool noises as they do damage. The sounds of birds and animals in the background really adds to the general ambience of the endless numbers of jungles. The human enemies, however, are pretty terrible-sounding. (7/10)

Gameplay: The only good thing here is a good selection of weapons, ranging from a knife and bow to nukes and magic scepters. Okay, now for the bad. Approximately 90% of the game is spent hunting down keys to open the other levels. Needless to say, it gets annoying FAST. Not only that, but the game has a MAJOR fog problem, which should probably go under graphics, but it weighs more on gameplay. You can't see what you're shooting at half the time. And to top it off, the game has the worst controls on the entire system. It uses the entire N64 controller, but has awkward settings, such as HAVING TO PUSH A BUTTON TO SWITCH FROM RUNNING TO WALKING! Sorry, but we know the N64 was better than that. (2/10)

Story: What story? Well, some random baddy called the Campaigner wants the Chronoscepter, a weapon that can destroy time. Your job, as Turok, is to get the eight pieces of the Chronoscepter before the Campaigner can. Needless to say, there isn't exactly an abundance of plot. (1/10)

Overall: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter was actually good, despite its problems, but didn't last long enough on the enjoyment scale. If you still want to get a N64, get Goldeneye, Turok 2 or Perfect Dark. STEER CLEAR of this one unless it's under five bucks.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 10/20/03