Review by Psycho Penguin

"All the fun of the Playstation version, minus the long loading times"

''Welcome to.... Mayhem is Nintendo 64!'' I am a big fan of this, as well as several other WCW games on the Nintendo 64. See, the Playstation has seemed to always get the short end of the stick when it comes to wrestling games. While the Nintendo 64 has such games as Revenge, World Tour, and (ugh) Nitro, the Playstation has been left with crap like Thunder, Nitro, and (ugh!) WCW vs the World. Which is why I was eagerly anticipating Mayhem. It was good on Playstation (thank God) but it is even better on Nintendo 64. Why? Well there are a couple of reasons, but the main reason the fact that the Nintendo 64 version does not suffer from the same loading times that the Playstation version does. The loading times on the Playstation version of WCW Mayhem were simply horrendous, but thankfully the Nintendo 64 version does not suffer from these same loading times, because they really bogged down an otherwise fine wrestling game (bout time we saw a decent WCW wrestling game on Playstation). Anyways, on with the review!

Graphics (9.2/10)
The graphics in WCW Mayhem for Nintendo 64 are actually pretty good. Thankfully, EA Sports did not use motion capture movements in this game. This is good because the motion capture movements in Attitude really hampered an otherwise fun game. The hand drawn characters in this game leads to speedy gameplay, and the frame rate is very consistent. The wrestlers look pretty cool, as everybody from Goldberg to whoever else is in WCW now looks just like (well not quite but pretty close) to their real life counterparts. Even Fat Tony is in the game! Overall, the graphics in WCW Mayhem for Nintendo 64 are very well done.

Music/Sound (9.2/10)
How EA Sports managed to fit all the wrestler theme songs into a Nintendo 64 cartridge, I'll never know, but they did it. And they did it with success, as well, because the music in this game is very well done. I still love Goldberg's theme, but otherwise I am not a huge fan of the theme songs for WCW wrestlers. But I am not going to hold that againt the music in the game, because the quality of the music is very good. Sound effect wise, Mayhem does well. Overal, WCW Mayhem for Nintendo 64 has good music and sound effects.

Gameplay/Control (9.3/10)
Gameplay wise, mayhem is great. It features all (well, a lot of) the wrestlers in WCW. The biggest flaw in the game that that jabroni Hogan is in it, but oh well. I enjoy playing this game a lot. The biggest and most hyped feature was the fact that you can go anywhere in the building/arena. problem is, you cannot control where you go! So there's one big flaw. But at least you can go anywhere to begin with, its pretty cool to organize a backstage attack on Hogan. Control wise, the moves in WCW Mayhem are easy to pull off and the N64 controller does not hamper the control one bit. Overall, WCW Mayhem for Nintendo 64 has solid gameplay and great controls.

My Favorite Part of Mayhem
Organizing a backstage attack on that old geezer Hogan.

Replay Value
High

Challenge
Medium

Overall (9.2/10)
Not as good as Revenge, but worth a purchase.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/17/00, Updated 07/16/01