Review by Psycho Penguin

"The 2nd best wrestling game ever made, in my opinion"

When WCW/nWo World Tour first came out, I remember playing it for days on end. However, soon, the game lost all its luster. I was beating everyone i came against very easily, and it just didn't have the type of replay value i was looking for. Don't get me wrong, though, it was till a great game. Then, WCW/nWo Revenge came along, and it blew me away. Even I, a realtive WCW-basher, love this game. It's great!! And I'm still playing it, even today! It is basically Wrestlemania 2000 with less modes and WCW wrestlers. The same basic gameplay and control systems that are featured in Wrestlemania 2000 are featured in WCW/nWo Revenge as well as the graphical scheme of the game are implemented into the game. Overall, WCW/nWo Revenge is one of my favorite wrestling games of all time! And for those of you wondering about why this game was never ported over to Playstation, let me make it short and sweet: WCW vs the World. Anyways, on with my updated review to WCw/nwo Revenge for the Nintendo 64!

Graphics (9.2/10)
The graphics in the game are unreal. Everything from Sting's scorpion shirt to the WCW Nitro sign is amazingly realistic. The graphical detail in this game absolutely destroys WWF Warzone's drab backgrounds and dreary character designs. The game's graphics are just what I’d expect from a system as powerful as the Nintendo 64. I think that WCW/nWo
Revenge for the Nintendo 64 is the second best looking wrestling game to date, even though there are a few flaws. Mainly, I think that the character models in the game could have been designed a bit better. Some of the character models in the game look okay but I think some of the other ones could have been designed a bit better, The thing about this game is that it uses hand drawings, not motion captured models. Therefore, the game moves a lot quicker and the moves seem to hit on impact. However, the character models are not up to par. So there are advantages and disadvantages between the hand drawings and the motion capture characters. And which do I prefer? I prefer the hand drawings like the ones featured in this game, because the game moves a lot quicker than a game like WWF Warzone or WWF Attitude. Overall, the graphics in WCW/nWo Revenge for the Nintendo 64 are great, and the hand drawings may not be perfect but I prefer them to the motion capture character models of the Acclaim wrestling games.

Music/Sound (7.8/10)
Well, the Nintendo 64 as a console has never been known to have outstanding music and sound effect quality, so don’t expect outstanding music and sound effects in the game. First off, the music in WCW/nWo Revenge for the Nintendo 64 is pretty good, but it is far from perfect. The biggest problem that some people may have with the music in the game is the fact that the wrestlers do not come out to their individual theme music during entrances. Instead, the wrestlers all came out to the same song. Now, granted, the music they came out to was pretty good, but it was far from perfect, and just didn’t have the same feeling to it that would have been present had the wrestlers came out to their own unique theme songs. For instance, imagine if Goldberg came out to his own theme song, and came out to the sparks and pyro. How cool would that have been? Instead, Goldberg just comes out like every other wrestler in the game does. Now, I understand that, but still it would have been cool. Anyways, the rest of the music that plays in the game, from the title screens to the music that plays during the matches themselves, is very well done. In fact, the music that plays during the matches is the best I have heard when it comes to music during matches. Yes, even better than WWF Smackdown or WWF Wrestlemania 2000. Sound effect wise, WCW/nWo Revenge for the Nintendo 64 will not help the Nintendo 64 win any awards, but there are a lot of good sound effects in the game. And just like WWF Smackdown and WWF Wrestlemania 2000, there is no commentary featured. It is not a huge loss for me, however, because I usually prefer to listen to music during a video game wrestling match rather than hear slow commentary (like ''He kicked out!'' 4 seconds after the wrestler kicks out). Overall, the music and sound effects in WCW/nWo Revenge for the Nintendo 64 are perfectly acceptable for a wrestling game on the Nintendo 64. And if you don’t mind the lack of commentary during matches, I am sure you will feel the same way about the music and sound effects in the game.

Gameplay (9.3/10)
The gameplay in this game is great. There are a lot of moves to learn, and it has a ''party-game'' feel to it. Battle Royal in this game is best, when you and 3 friends can either go 2-0n-2 tag team, or my personal favorite, every man for himself. There is but one problem, though, Unlike WWF Warzone, where each character has their own variety of moves, in Revenge, it seems as if every wrestler controls the same. This little flaw shouldn't detract from your enjoyment of the game, however. Yes, every wrestler in WCW/nWo Revenge pretty much controls the same way, in terms of how to do the basic moves. However, this is also a good thing, because it allows the newbies of the series to get right into the game, and also makes for an outstanding party game. Yes, I think WCW/nWo Revenge (along with WWF Wrestlemania 2000) are much better party games than games like WWF Attitude or WWF Warzone. Revenge is just so much more easier to get into than the Acclaim wrestling games. Now, that is not a crack on the Acclaim wrestling games, because I like them too. However, I prefer WCW/nWo Revenge, as well as all the other THQ/Asmik wrestling games. Back to the game, a major flaw in the game is the fact that unlike a lot of other wrestling games, there is no create a wrestler mode. Instead, the only option you get is to rename the wrestler and give them a new outfit. I was kind of disappointed in this fact, but I also had great fun renaming the wrestlers and assigning them different outfits. For instance, one day I decided to have Sting and Goldberg win the Tag Title Belts. So, I gave Goldberg Sting’s outfit, and they both came out to the ring wearing the black outfits, which I thought was really cool. But, still, it would have been better to include a create a wrestler mode in addition to this cool mode. Oh well, Revenge is still a fun game that doesn’t quite measure up to the greatness of WWF Wrestlemania 2000. Overall, WCW/nWo Revenge for the Nintendo 64 has outstanding control and gameplay and is a great multiplayer and single player game!

Replay Value (High)
Need I say more? This game will keep you hooked, and has far more replay value then World Tour ever had. and, hey, I played world tour for months! The game has great replay value, whether you are playing multiplayer or single player. In multiplayer, the fast action and the feeling that you get when a friend brags about beating you once then you beat him five times in a row makes the game worth replaying again. In single player mode, there are a lot of modes in the game, and despite the lack of a create a wrestler feature, its replacement mode is still pretty fun. Overall, WCW/nWo Revenge for the Nintendo 64 has great replay value, whether you play single player or multiplayer!

Challenge (Medium)
Well, you are playing against WCW wrestlers here, so what do you expect? Seriously, WCW/nWo Revenge is a decent challenge for the newbies, but the good thing about the game is the fact that the challenging part of the game is trying to win certain matches, not trying to figure out how to do certain moves. Overall, the challenge factor of WCW/nWo Revenge for the Nintendo 64 is decent, and the challenge definitely lies in the right places.

Overall (9.3/10)
WCW/nWo Revenge for the Nintendo 64 rocks, and is one of the best multiplayer games out there, and it also ranks as one of the Nintendo 64's finest. Even if you’re not a WCW fan, you owe it to yourself to at least try out this game to see what you have been missing. And if you’re a WCW fan, there is no need to read a review. Just go out and buy it. The excellent single player and fun and exciting multiplayer modes will not disappoint you! Great job, THQ!

''Hell, at least Tony Schiavone isn’t annoying the hell out of me in this game!''

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/21/00, Updated 07/16/01