Review by Prime Mover

"A superb racer that should not be missed!"

When I played Wipeout for the first time on the Playstation I was astounded at how cool it was. Little hover cars going at speeds of 600 miles an hour was quite a rush to play. So when I heard Wipeout was coming to N64 I wasted no time rushing out the door to my local Target to pick up this game. When I got home I found out my expectations had been warranted.

Graphics 9/10

Graphics are extremely well done in this game although you might not have time to notice them as your flying by the track. All the hover cars are detailed quite nicely and they all have their little differences. The tracks are superb and never repeat the same kind of details. The colors are nice and bright but not so much as too distract you from the race. Solid in every respect.

Control 9/10

When your flying around a track at 500 mph the importance of good controls is enhanced all that much more. Fortunately Wipeout delivers. The controls are very easy to learn and the steering is perfect. As usual ''A'' is used to accelerate but instead of using ''B'' to brake (it fires your weapons) they came up with the ingenious idea of using ''L'' and ''R'' which not only brakes the car on their perspective sides which greatly helps on sharp turns.

Gameplay 10/10

Whoever came up with the idea of Hover cars going 600 mph around a track is a genius and should be praised to the end of his days. While the number of cars and tracks isn't astounding it's enough to keep things fresh. And let's not forget the multiplayer. At first I was a bit concerned at trying to race at such high speeds with such a tiny screen but every thing turned out fine. Also the use of weapons was used to perfection. With every thing from mines to an attack that causes the whole track to roll up it can affect the outcome of a race and yet you'd be hard-pressed to call it cheap.

Sound 7/10

The only thing that isn't great about Wipeout is the sound. Now don't get me wrong it's OK but not great. They only have about 5 different songs and they can get kind of annoying if end up getting the same song over and over again. The SFX are pretty good with a large ''clunk'' when your hits craft hits the wall. The sound when you launch an attack isn't anything awe-inspiring either but it is not bad.

Replayibility 8/10

With the multiplayer being as good as it is you won't get bored of this baby for a long time. The first player will keep you entertained for a long time as well. And battle mode is an interesting twist for those of you who would rather destroy something rather than finish in front of it.

Overall Score 10/10

Definitely buy this game! It's one game you most certainly want in your collection.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/02/02, Updated 11/02/02