Review by Psycho Penguin

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, DGenerationX proudly presents WWF Attitude!"

Quick Note
As you all may know, my first review for WWF Attitude for Nintendo 64 was absolute crap. First off, I made a huge mistake by reviewing the game after only two days of gameplay. Secondly, the review was very very short. It only featured the good points and bad points of the game, thats it. Nos core breakdown, no anything. So, in my current ''revision of old reviews'' streak i got going, I figured I would update this one as well. Enjoy!

WWF Atttiude is a great game from Acclaim. I remember reading about this game for many months, and wanting to get the game instantly. I mean, I am a huge World Wrestling Federation fan, so of course I would want to play a great World Wrestling Federation game, right? I rememebr reading about all of the different gameplay modes, ranging from the tag matches to the steel cage matches. Also, the innovative season mode seemed like a creative and very fun gameplay addition. I was a fan of WWF Warzone, but I knew that the game could be improved significantly. And, trust me, it was. WWF Attitude is my second favorite World Wrestling Federation game on the Nintendo 64 (only eclipsed by the greatness that is known as WWF Wrestlemania 2000). I had a lot of fun playing this game, and I am sure you will to. And that's the bottom line!

WWF Video Game History
Ranging from WWF European Rampage on the Amiga to WWF Wrestlemania 2000 for Nintendo 64, there has been a lot of WWF games released over the years. The genre really did not pick up much steam until Acclaim released WWF Warzone for the Sony Playstation and Nintendo 64 in 1998. Featuring unique polygonal graphics and lots of play modes, it was universially hailed as the greatest wrestling game ever created, and was definetly a big improvement over the previous 2 Playstation WWF games (WWF In Your House and WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game). But I knew that the game could have been improved. Enter WWF Attitude, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, and WWF Smackdown (PSX). The wrestling game genre has really exploded, and WWF Warzone started the whole trend.

Graphics (9.2/10)

The graphics in WWF Attitude for the Nintendo 64 are great, in my opinion. Imagine the graphics in WWF Warzone, made even better, with better crowd effects, better ring entrances, and more! That is the way that WWF Attitude is designed graphically. However, the graphics are not perfect. The collision detection is still pretty shoddy. The wrestlers designs are good, but they could have been better. And there are no Titan Tron videos whatsoever. Still, the graphics in the game are still pretty good. Now, I will describe the most important parts when it comes to graphics in a wrestling video game.

Collision Detection: I was very disappointed that Acclaim did not fix the major problem that plagued WWF Warzone: the collision detection. Some moves appear to travel right through the wrestlers. The game movement and speed is also very slow, as it appears that the wrestlers are moving like they are constapated (especially during the ring entrances when they are going to the ring). Also, some of the moves appear like they go right through the wrestler, like the gorilla slam by Mark Henry for example. I have noticed that when you do this move, Mark Henry's hands go right through his opponent, and when the opponent lands he just kind of gets up. That is totally unrealistic. So, I was really disappointed in the collision detection in WWF Attitude. I was hoping that Acclaim would fix the major flaw in WWF Warzone, but they didn't.

Character Models: WWF Attitude, like WWF Warzone, used motion capture wrestler designs. Therefore, there are both good points and bad points. The good points of using the motion capture graphics in the game is that the wrestlers look very realistic and definetly look more realistic than the ones in WWF Wrestlemania 2000 for Nintendo 64 (which uses hand drawings as opposed to the motion capture). So the wrestlers look a lot better and a lot more realistic than they would had there been just hand drawings. On the other hand, I actually prefer hand drawings over motion capture characters. Why? Well, there are a few reasons, but the main reason is the one I mentioned above: collision detection and game speed. The motion capture characters cause the game speed and collision detection to suffer. So the motion capture character designs has its advantages and disadvantages. On one hand, the advantages are the detail put into the wrestlers. They look very realistic. On the other hand, the collision detection and frame rate suffer. So in the end, I would prefer to see future wrestling games move away from the motion capture wrestler designs and use the hand drawings, like the ones found in WWF Smackdown (for Sony Playstation, by THQ/Yukes) and WWF Wrestlemania 2000 (for Nintendo 64, by THQ/Asmik Ace)

Other Stuff: Usually, the main part of this category lies in all of the other stuff, like ring entrances, how the ring itself looks, and how the crowd looks. The ring entrances in WWF Attitude are great and look very realistic. However, the wrestlers walk to the ring very funny. It looks like they took a dump in their pants right before coming out and are walking to avoid feeling the excrement. It's really funny how they walk. The ring itself has a very nice design to it, and looks very realistic. That is, until you step into the ring and start the match. That's when the ring doesn't look quite as good, because sometimes there is lots of polygin clipping and tearing. Oh well, the ring still does look pretty good and realistic. Crowd wise, the crowd is virtually non existant, unlike other games like WWF Wrestlemania 2000. This is a shame because it would have been cool to see the crowd react to a certain move (like HHH putting the pedigree on The People's Chump). Oh well. The only time you can really see the crowd is during the ring entrances, and the crowd doesn't look too good. Acclaim probably knew this and decided not to show them too much during a match.

Overall, the graphics in WWF Attitude are not perfect, but are still pretty good. The motion capture wrestler designs has its advantages and disadvantages, and in my opinion the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. The frame rate is okay, and I am glad that there are no loading times. The collision detection is definetly the one major flaw in the game's graphics, and the crowd is a minor design flaw.

Music/Sound (9.1/10)

WWF Attitude definetly has great music and sound effects. First, I'll mention the music. The music throughout the game is great, but suffers from a major flaw. It uses the MIDI format. What's the big deal, you may ask. Well, let me tell you, the quality of the music really suffers when using the MIDI format. It still sounds pretty good, but the quality could have been better had a different music format been used. The best part of the music, in my opinion, is that in the create a wretsler mode you can listen to any wrestler's theme song. So what if some of the songs are outdated (HHH uses the old DX song, for instance)?. The theme songs still sound great, and Shawn Michael's ''Sexy Boy'' theme is, and always will be, one of my favorite theme songs of all time as well as being a true classic. The music that plays when you first start up the game (and are on the title screen) is great, as well. I believe that it was a wrestler's theme song at one time but I am not sure of this. Anyways, the music in the game is really good.

Sound effect wise, WWF Attitude really comes through by delivering top notch commentary. Featuring the witty comments of Jerry ''The King'' Lawler, and ''The Boss'' Vince McMahon, the commentary is great. It may not be as great in quality as the amazing commentary in WWF Warzone (for instance, the finishing moves are not called out in Attitude but were in Warzone), but the quality of commentary in WWF Attitude is still pretty good. I feel that the commentary could have been a little bit better, but it does feature Jerry ''The King'' Lawler so I am very happy. WWF Attitude also features all the
wrestler's grunts and tanuts, ranging from Al Snow's hilarious bits to the Rock's funny as heck taunts (''I'm going to lay the smackdown all over you, trailer park trash!''). Great stuff. I would have liked to see a little bit more variety in the sound effects, especially the wrestler's taunts and grunts (sometimes the same thing is said a few times in a row) but I am still satisfied with it. The other major part of the sound effects, the crowd chants, is also pretty well done, as all the major chants are there. I also like how the crowd calls for your finishing move after a while. Too bad they didn't call for mine that much ^_^ Anyways, great sound effects.

Overall, the music sound effects in WWF Attitude for Nintendo 64 are top notch. I would have preferred a different format for the music files other than MIDI, and the commentary is a bit lacking, but I am still very happy with the way that Acclaim handled the music and sound effects in this game. Great job, Acclaim! You get a Commander's seal of Approval!

Control (5.3/10)

First off, I was not a huge fan of the control in WWF Warzone to begin with, so I was kind of disappointed to see that Acclaim used the same control structure in WWF Atttiude that they used in WWF Warzone. The moves are very complicated to pull off, and newbies will definetly have trouble pulling off some of the moves in this game. Therefore, this automatically makes WWF Attitude a terrible party game. Yes, there will be hardly any mutliplayer fun in this game because the moves are so hard to pull off. The Nintendo 64 controller definetly does not help, either. The game does provide a somehwat helpful moves list during the match, but it really doesn't help much because it still takes a lot of skills just to pull off some of the moves. I am not a big fan of the control system in this game at all.

Gameplay (8.1/10)

WWF Attitude, at heart, is basically just WWF Warzone with a lot of new play modes. Fortunately enough, there are enough new play modes to keep you busy for a while. First off, there is a new season mode, which is cool because you can take any wrestler (even a created one) and have him go through all the stuggles of losing and winning and eventually lead him/her to the ultimate prize, the WWF Championship! Anyways, I will now go through the 2 most important parts of gameplay in a wrestling video game, the play modes, and the create a wrestler mode.

Play Modes: There are so many different modes in the game, its incredible. First there is the career mode, where you take a wrestler and lead that wrestler to the WWF championship. Then there is a create a PPV mode, where you can create a Pay per View. You choose the matches, what kind of matches you want, who you want wrestling in certain matches for certain titles, and can even name the Pay per View. In Exhibition Mode, there are plenty of different matches you can choose. Vs. (1 on 1 match), Tag Team (2 on 2 matches), 2 on 1 (2 wrestlers against 1), 3 on 1 (3 wrestlers on 1, very challenging to win), Tornado (2 on 2 match without Tag Rules), Lumbejack (1 on 1, wrestlers outside the ring throw you back in when you get knocked out), Gauntlet (1 wrestler faces a few others, 1 after another), Tag team Gauntlet (like regular Gauntlet but with a tag team instead of one wrestler), Survivor Series (4 on 4 match, elimination with tag rules), Royal Rumble (2 men start out, 1 comes in every 30 seconds, elimination by being thrown over top rope), Battle Royal (same as Royal Rumble, except theres only 4 wrestlers and they all start at same time), War (4 wrestelers in free for all action, when one is eliminated they stand outside of the ring and interfere in the match), Stabble (like War, but each team has 4 wrestlers), Triangle (like Vs. match, but with 3 guys. last man standing wins), and Triple Threat Match (like Triangle, but first pin wins the match). Whoosh, that's a lot of modes!

Create a Wrestler Mode: The create a wrestler mode in WWF Warzone was a very innovative idea, and WWF Attitude keeps the same basic idea while improving the mode dramatically. In fact, the create a wrestler mode in WWF Attitude, in my opinion, is still the best create a wrestler mode of all time (yes, even better than the ones found in WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and WWF Smackdown). There are so much different variations of wrestlers to make, it is unbelievable. Now, some of you may be wondering, why do I like this create a wrestler mode more than the one found in WWF Wrestlemania 2000 or WWF Smackdown? Well, the answer is simple. The create a wrestler mode in WWF Smackdown, was in my opinion, too complicated and on the other hand too simple. Now that doesn't make sense, right? Well, think of it this way: there was so much menus and options in the create a wrestler mode that it was complicated. But the basic faces and bodies were just from the actual wrestlers themselves, so it was quite simple in that retrospect. The create a wrestler mode in WWF Attitude, on the other hand, featured easy to navigate menus, and gave you options like putting a necklace on the wrestler, and editing the text on the clothing. It really is quite good. However, I liked the development of the created wrestlers more in WWF Smackdown. For instance, WWF Smackdown featured a pre season mode where you can add abilities to your wrestlers, but WWF Attitude did not have a pre season mode. Oh well, I still love the create a wrestler mode in this game!

Overall, the gameplay in WWF Atttiude may just be a cheap ripoff of the gameplay in WWF Warzone, but Acclaim went the extra mile by improving the create a wrestler mode significantly while adding tons of new and innovative modes. WWF Attitude may be viewed as the game that changed the face of video game wrestling forever, right alongside the innovative yet flawed WWF Warzone.

Replay Value: Medium

Due to the flawed control system of WWF Attitude, you may not feel as compelled to play it, especially with the superior WWF Wrestlemania 2000 out. On the other hand, I still play this game sometimes, if not to play the game then to mess around and create some unique wrestlers in the create-a-wrestler mode.

Challenge: High

Yes, WWF Attitude is a challenging game. First off, the control and the movement of the wrestlers during the game make it kind of difficult to win a match, because sometimes you'll go for your finishing move, press the wrong button combination, have your opponent land a critical move, and eventually be beaten. The Career mode is also very long and quite challenging.

Overall (8.4/10)

It may have seemed throughout this review that I do not like WWF Attitude, and that I am totally biased against this game. This is simply not true, because I am a big fan of this game. WWF Attitude is worth a purchase mainly because of all the different play modes that the game offers, plus the unique create a wrestler mode is incredible. Well worth a purchase, even for non WWF fans.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/07/00, Updated 07/16/01