Review by MissBatty

"Who ever said a game had to be hard to be fun?"

As the title states, nobody EVER said a game had to be difficult to be fun. Yoshi's Story is a good example of a game that's too easily underrated.

Gameplay - 10 - Easy. Simply easy. I can't even explain it. Yoshi has never been that easy to control. And depending where you are in the game, it can be pretty hard to die, too. Beginners might not even die in their first time. And believe me, the controls are so easy, you'll be smacking yourself in the face for losing.

Graphics - 10 - For its time, the graphics are simple and creative. Creative, you say? Well, in a few levels with the quilt backgrounds and "Made in Japan" labels are a work of sheer brilliance. I don't know their purpose, but I've never seen anything like that before.

Music/Sound - 8 - Relaxing or giggle-worthy...You decide when you enter the Jelly Pipe or Jungle Puddle. If you have a thing for music with the same tune, but in different genres, get this soundtrack. I found the music here playful and utterly hum-worthy. It's hard to not sing along! And of course with the brilliant idea of giving the Yoshis differently pitched voices makes the player fall in love again.

Story - 9 - It IS called "Yoshi's Story", isn't it? Of course there would be plenty of time to build around that. Anyways, the story here is that the naughty little Baby Bowser is up to no good again! So he stole the Super Happy Tree, which belonged rightfully to the Yoshis, and turned their whole world into a child's pop-up book. All of the Yoshi's on the island disappeared...but what's this? Six (or eight) Yoshi eggs were still there! Once they hatched, they knew something was up. So they set out on their hard but happy journey to claim what's rightfully theirs and trump Baby Bowser for good!

Play Time/Replayability - 6 - I must admit, the playtime isn't too long, depending on how long you would like to spend racking up as many points as you possibly can. You can just blitz through the level or you can weed out the melons. And I'd replay it after a week or so, or to unlock all of the levels.

Final Recommendation - 9 - Juvenile game my ASS. Worth your points for the nostalgia and the fun. A good "I'm stuck in the house on a rainy Friday afternoon" kind of game. Tell me that's not download worthy.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/07/10

Game Release: Yoshi's Story (US, 09/17/07)