Review by blaze_fire12

"Childish, odd, and still somewhat difficult"

Yoshi's Story, the tale of Yoshi and his adventures. I got this game when I got my Nintendo 64, when I was 8. Back then, I remember thinking, "Wow, this game is really weird." Now, I still think the same way. Yoshi's Story is a bright game, with it's challenges.

Plot - 6/10
The plot is simply not that good. Baby Bowser steals the Super Happy Tree, causing the Yoshis to be sad. They then decide to go and try to rescue it. Is it a good plot? No. Is it, however, a good plot for the target audience? Yes. The target audience for this game is the younger child crowd, which is a group that has easy games. The plot is perfect for their audience, however, this is lost on the older crowd that may play the game.

Sound - 3/10
The sound effects in this game are lacking, however the music is fairly decent. It starts off with the music you will hear for the rest of that level, if you keep your health high. This music is usually faster paced, and mostly upbeat. When your health gets lower, it slows down and becomes extremely dreary. A pretty good attempt for Nintendo, who tend to do good with music in their games. However, the sound effects sound very clumsy. When you get hit, the sound effect isn't just Yoshi crying in pain, there's a weird other sound that comes with it that lasts longer than you get hit. It's awkward.

Graphics - 8/10
The graphics are actually good. The background looks as if it was random pieces of things put together in a scrapbook. The actual stage looks sewn together. It looks as if a child put together the levels and it looks amazing. Seeing how it takes place in a book, the childish look suits the entire plot of the game.

Replay Value - 5/10
This game has a small replay value. You can go back to unlock all the levels, which is in and of itself a difficult task. There is also the trial mode, where you try to get the highest happiness score possible. There isn't really anything to unlock from the trial mode, so there isn't really much to do once the game is beaten.

In conclusion, Yoshi's Story is a good game that should be played at once, just so you can say that you did so. It is generally easy, however, the later levels are pretty hard. My final score for this game is a 6. The Nintendo 64 has tons of better games, but this one is still worth playing.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 06/20/11

Game Release: Yoshi's Story (US, 03/01/98)