Review by LordAtomic

"This game isn't worth your time or mine...in fact, why am I even writing this review?"

Yoshi's Story is a tough game to love. A really good gamer can beat this game in 15-20 minutes, and they're aren't enough extras to keep you playing after you have tried every stage. The fact is, Yoshi's Island was much better. This is the first, but certainly not the last, of SNES sequels that pale in comparison to their predecessors.

Baby Bowser steals the Super Happy Tree, robbing Yoshi's Island of it's happiness. The Yoshi's go out collecting fruit to become super happy, take down Baby Bowser, and take back the super happy tree.

...are you as sickened by this childish story as I am?

Yes, the graphics are very nice. I like how the bright colors and realistic textures make it look like you are watching a 3D cartoon. Best of all, there are no graphical glitches. The characters are a bit kiddy, (and you know how much I hate that) but it doesn't hurt the visual presentation enough for me to give it anything but a 10.

But graphics aren't everything, are they?

Sound FX: 1/10
AAAAAAAAAH!!! KILL THOSE DAMN YOSHIS!!! The little squeaks they make throughout the whole game gets VERY distracting and VERY annoying. In fact, there aren't very many SFX in this game that DON'T come out of the Yoshi's mouths.

Music: 1/10
Ditto. Immediately after turning on the game, you get the annoying title screen music, which will get stuck in your head and never come out. None of the tracks are catchy. It's best to play this game with your TV muted.

Game Play: 2/10
This game has the most retarded level progression system I have ever seen. Rather than YI's system of going from Point A to Point B, YS has you collecting fruit. Collect 30 pieces, and the level ends. ...Ooookay... The Yoshi's Island system is much more fun, because you had challenging traps and puzzles that kept you from getting to the levels end. In fact, this game hardly any challenge at all. There is a very small amount of puzzles, and they are very simplistic.

The control is a mixed bag. Tossing eggs and jumping is easy, but the N64's overly tight stick makes it hard to move around. If we were able to use the D-Pad for moving, control would have been a lot easier.

Another problem is that you can't play through the whole game in one sitting. You can only through six levels and then it ends. If you would be able to play through the full 24 levels in one setting, the game would feel longer. Still, YS's 24 levels pale in comparison to YI's 54.

Buy/Rent
Rent if you must. But if you don't, you won't miss much.

Bottom Line
A lackluster sequel to an awesome SNES game.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 06/18/01, Updated 10/06/02