Review by plasmabeam

"This could've been better"

When, I first got my Nintendo 64, I picked up Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. Why did I mention these two games? They're far superior to Yoshi's Story, and they're what platformers should be. Anyway, I got Yoshi's Story for Christmas that year, and I thought it was average. I've played much better platformers, any I was shocked that Nintendo would let this game be released like this.

Graphics - 8/10
I must say that the graphics were pretty nice in this game. The weren't the best on N64, but the were good, and they worked well for a 2D platformer. Nintendo surprisingly ditched the "Crayon-effect" from Yoshi's Island. That looked nice, but they got rid of it, and replaced it with these cute, yet nice, graphics. The character models are pretty good. The backgrounds and platforms look great.

Sound and Music - 2/10
Don't misunderstand me. I think the audio was done ok, but it belongs in a 3-year-old's TV show.The music is good, but too kiddy, and what Nintendo did to Yoshi, kills a once cool character. Throughout the whole game, you'll hear sounds that should only be heard from Sesame Street or whatever. The game's audio makes you feel like some toddler, and I actually felt embarrassed, when I played this game by myself. When you beat a chapter, the Yoshis start singing this incredibly childish song, that'll pretty much encourage you to turn down the volume.

Now let me tell you about the sounds. You know how Yoshi spoke before this? He spoke using those squeaky little hic-up noises that we all loved. Now, those noises are replaced by babyish "coos" and yelling "Yo-shi!". You'll probably want to turn the volume down for the whole game.

Story - 3/10
This story actually takes place before Yoshi's Island. Baby Bowser has stolen the "Super Happy Tree" (I did mention that this game is childish), and the Yoshis must retrieve it. Now they must travel through a storybook to get it back.

Gameplay - 7/10
Despite the immature look and sound of the game, it's actually pretty decent, where it matters most. The levels are filled with good platforming action. You don't have Mario on your back this time, so damage is calculated by how many petals there are on this flower in the top left corner of the screen. If you take damage, you can restore health by eating fruit. There are a decent amount of enemies in this game. Most of they require you to eat them, but some are only weak against eggs. Throwing eggs is somewhat easier than in Yoshi's Island. The bosses are pretty creative, but too easy.

The main problems with this game are its easy difficulty and short length. You can probably beat this game about 3 hours.

Replay Value - 6/10
There's a mode where you can replay the levels, that you completed. Also, it'll take you more than one play through to play every level. There's also a few extras in the game.

Overall - 6/10
It's a shame that Nintendo uses Yoshi's childish character in today's games. I'm sure that everyone like the classic Yoshi better. This game was decent, but the audio was plain horrible, and the game was too short and easy. Pick it up only, if you can get it for a cheap price.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 08/02/04