Review by Casanova973

"This is so funny it's not even worth laughing at..."

Yoshi Story is set in 2-D, and I think that that is the worst mistake that the N64 could make. The graphics are half decent, but the gameplay is just appalling! I was so excited when I got this game for Christmas, but now I am embarrassed that I even looked at it. Let's get on with the review.

The game is set in 2-D and very much like playing a cartoon which was a good idea at first, but they made it into a horror! The camera angle is just poor. It is on side view, and your character just runs along the short platform in search of happy fruits. the graphics could have been SO much better if they adjusted the camera, added a little more detail to the characters, changed the scene, and made it 3-d!

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I never heard of such music! It's horrible, just horrible! The game is just, it's just... It's just too happy! It's just wrong. The music is just the complete opposite of what you'd expect for certain levels. It's these really fake and annoying instruments that aren't even made with real instruments. they just use the computer which makes the music just painful for your ears. Also, It's not just the music that hurts your ears, It's the stupid sound effects and noises. While you are playing, the Yoshis just make these stupid noises and sing these painful songs. I personally think that the sound would be a massive improvement with no sound at all.

The gameplay for this game is just poor. There's no real action or adventure or puzzles in the gameplay. That alone shouldn't be allowed! The only struggling thing with the gameplay is the jumping distance. You have to somehow measure how far your Yoshi can jump to reach a certain point. it's just really poor. You also have very pointless and ridicules objectives. You have to collect fruit to pass to the next level because it makes your character stronger. I personally found that a bad idea because well, It's just a really poor idea. You or others might think differently about the gameplay. It didn't impress me at all, in fact it shocked me. The gameplay could have been so much better but It's much too late now.

At first, I thought that there was no story for this game. It was not until I completed the game until I realized that there was a story. It's something about an important member of the Yoshis been kidnapped, and all of his fellow Yoshis are on a quest to rescue him. You play all of his fellow Yoshis, but not at the same time of course. You can choose what one you play as, then you have to beat a level with that character.

Replay Value: 2/10
I've only gone through this game once. Once I'd completed it, I never played it again. Trust me, I've tried oh yes I've tried getting back into it, but It's just really difficult for me to play this game again. It might be different for some people, but I very much doubt it.

Rent or Buy:
Don't bother at all. It's a waste of time and money. Use your well earned money on Any other game than this one. You'll regret it for the rest of your life, just like I did.

Overall:
Overall this was just a poor effort by the N64. It has some half-decent features on it but at the end of the day, you're never going to play it again once you've completed it, as the replay value is very poor.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 08/05/04