Review by Cooper

"One of the best games for the Nintendo 64 !!!!"

Yoshi's Story is one of the most seriously underrated games on the Nintendo 64. Some people say it is too easy, while others say it is too childish, and others say it is worthless. Well, obviously it is easy, it is geared toward kids. The real challenge is not to beat the game in 30 minuntes. It is collecting every single melon and coin in the game. If you can do that, you have ''beaten'' Yoshi's Story.

Story- 8/10
It is kind of similar to the SNES game SMW2: Yoshi's Island. It is still kind of creative, and younger kids will like it. The book concept of turning the pages is pretty cool. (Makes a great stage on Super Smash Bros.)

Graphics- 9/10
The graphics are some of the best I have seen. Yoshi truly comes to life. He huffs and puffs, when your life is low and he skips when your life is high. He even looks at you when you don't move him as if to say, ''What are you waiting for?'' The enemies are nicely animated too. Backgrounds give the look of handmade materials and the area you run around in has many 3D effects to it. The ability to change trails in certain levels and when you go into doors are a few examples.

Sound- 9/10
Okay, I will say the singing is a tad annoying, but I am a pretty mellow person, so it doesn't really bother me. Like I said earlier, Yoshi, Baby Bowser, and others come to life. The sounds they make, like Yoshi catching his breath and Baby Bowser getting all flustered are funny at times. The music is kind of addicting to me and it gets stuck in my head whenever I play the game. Pretty good sounds overall. (The funniest thing is if you eat something like a hot pepper because Yoshi will stick out his toungue and kind of go ''yuck''.)

Gameplay/Control- 10/10
What can you expect from Shigeru Miyamoto? The man is simply a genius. You can credit him for Star Fox 64 and Super Mario 64. Those games had excellent play and control as does this one. You control every aspect of Yoshi from licking up a Shy Guy to holding on to am umbrella for a nice slow descent to the bottom. You can run, walk, or crawl. You name it and Yoshi will do it. The Rumble Pak works pretty good for this game too. It rumbles at obvious times like if you do a groud pound or if you get hit by an enemy.

Overall- 9/10
It grieves me how many people don't like this game. I am a teenager and I love it. I am a big adventure game person and this game fits the bill. This game has so many secrets, it is mind boggling. With so many things to find and characters to meet, Yoshi's Story is filled with suprises galore! The Practice mode is very helpful so you can get the feel of the game. As far as renting or buying, I will let you decide. I bought it when it came out though, and I don't regret it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/28/00, Updated 05/28/00